Are you aware that you're eight times more likely to be involved in a home invasion attack than you are to be involved in a house fire? When intruders enter you house forcefully, whether for the thrill of it or to rob you and take your family hostage, this is considered to be a home invasion. Don't make the mistake of thinking home invasions only take place in high crime areas. There are stories of home invasions taking place in suburbs and rural areas. These attacks are more common than most people think. Now is the time to plan a home defense strategy that will keep you and your family safe if you're ever faced with a violent home invasion attack.
Stories of Real Home Invasion Survivors
You can view home invasion stories on the prime time news or in newspapers to understand the secret of surviving this kind of violent attack. One of the most common factors is that the home owner owns a gun or some other kind of weapon that can be used to defend themselves. If you are worried about becoming a victim of this type of crime, this is a very good idea. However, many handgun owners haven't learned how to use their guns outside of the more relaxed atmosphere of the shooting range. There's a self defense weapon that's much more important than a gun.
The Best Home Defense Weapon
Of all the available home defense weapons, the most effective one is your brain. No matter what type of home defense weapon you use, you have to be able to think tactically. This kind of thinking goes beyond the usually point and shoot reaction that most gun owners have instilled in their brains because of the typical range training they use. Lets break this down a little more and really tap into your brain and devise a realistic home invasion self defense plan.
Five Home Defense Tactics That Will Help You Survive A Violent Home Invasion
- You need to develop a code word that will tell your entire family that its time to spring into action. You don't need to make up some kind of secret code. The word "ESCAPE" works very well and is simple and straight to the point. Forget about "Red Wolf" and use something simple.
- Designate a "safe room" in your home where everyone can go to at the same time. This room should be stocked with several specific items that will help you survive the upcoming fight. The list of items isn't that long, but the list is outside the scope of this article. The one thing that you must have in this room is a phone that can be used to call the police.
- Do not, under any circumstances, leave the safe room. If you have your family in the room with you, resist the urge to put on your cape and fight the invaders single handedly.
- Develop a "fatal funnel". If you are using a gun for home defense, position yourself in a corner of the safe room that is on the opposite side of the door. This will give you the maximum amount of time decide if you're going to shoot because you'll be the last thing the intruders see when they burst through the door. In this instance, you have the advantage because they will have to make an assessment of the room before they make a move. You only have to decide if you're going to shoot or not. You will know that its either the police coming to your rescue or the bad guys coming to harm you. Just make sure you don't shoot the police.
- Stay in the safe room until the police arrive, no matter how long it takes. Even if you are pretty sure the home invasion is finished and the intruders have left, do not leave the safe room. You can't be sure that the attackers aren't lying in wait to take your family by force to hold as hostages or cause harm. Stay in the room until the police have cleared the house and tell you to come out before you decide the home invasion is over.