Veterans Day is a great time to educate your children about the history of this holiday and the sacrifice and dedication of our U.S. veterans. So, how do you celebrate this holiday in a creative and constructive way with your children?
How to Teach Kids About Veterans Day
Here are a few ideas, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs and EducationWorld.com:
1. Teach your children about the history of Veterans Day by having them create a time line of events leading to the observance of the holiday.
2. Have your kids write short articles or essays of how veterans are honored around the world. And if you know any veterans locally, propose that your kids interview them about what it's like to serve in the U.S. military.
3. Research how American veterans were treated after they returned from various military conflicts, ranging from the French and Indian War to the Persian Gulf War. Ask your children to compare and contrast their findings. Also compare and contrast how women and minorities who served in those conflicts were treated.
4. Have children draw a picture of Veterans Day, and what this holiday means to them. Military children can draw a picture of a parent who is currently deployed, or a relative who has served.
5. Make a thank you card for veterans. Children can give this card to veterans that they know or to veterans who are listed through the local VA medical facility.
6. Ask your children's teacher to invite veterans to their classroom. Veterans can discuss what it's like to serve in the military, and how important it is to observe this holiday.
7. Have your kids make a colorful and fun poster with the names and pictures of relatives who are veterans.
There are a variety of ways to celebrate Veterans Day with your children. And teaching children about the significance of this holiday will help give them a deep appreciation of our nation's servicemembers and veterans.
Veterans Day Teacher Resource Guide
With Veterans Day less than 45 days away, the time is right for planning classroom activities. The Veterans Day Teacher Resource Guide contains information to help students gain an understanding of the origins of Veterans Day and why America celebrates it each November 11. It includes suggestions for a Veterans Day ceremony and classroom activities for both younger and older students.
Download a copy of the Resource Guide or Veterans Day poster.