Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer says he never had any doubt that Disney would resume production on Johnny Depp's "The Lone Ranger."
Bruckheimer, however, said negotiations over budget cuts for the film, which was shut down for eight weeks, were some of the toughest in his career, The Hollywood Reporter said.
The industry trade publication said Bruckheimer slashed a budget that had spiraled above $260 million down to $215 million to meet the demands of Disney CEO Robert Iger. Disney announced last week the movie was back on track.
Bruckheimer, in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, said Thursday reworking the production plan and shooting in states with the best tax incentives will save $18 million. Deferment of fees and other cuts helped trim $45 million.
The producer said a sequence involving supernatural coyotes and a small animated segment had to be cut but most of the script was left intact.
"Disney would have much preferred us cutting stuff out of the script. But the competition is fierce. You can't compete with "The Hobbit," you can't compete with "Transformers" if you do that. The audience will stay home," Bruckheimer said.
"The Lone Ranger" is now scheduled for release in May 2013.