Cash-out Refinance: an Overview
Cash-Out Refinance Option
The Veterans' Benefits Improvement Act of 2008 allows you to free up cash with a cash-out refinance, a VA home loan refinance program in which you can cash-out on the equity you have built up in your home. As an example, if you still owe $70,000 on your original loan, you can refinance for a $90,000 loan, which gives you a cash-out of $20,000.
Cash-Out Refinance Advantages:
• The interest rates on cash-out refinancing are usually lower than the interest rate on a home equity loan.
• You may be able to get a lower interest rate on your refinance than you have on your current loan.
Below are the major points for a VA home loan refinance under the cash-out program:
- An appraisal is required and you must qualify for the loan.
- If you are refinancing for the first time, the VA charges a 2.15% funding fee for this program (2.15% of the total loan) which can be rolled into the loan amount. If you refinance more than once, the funding fee is 3.3%.
- There is no minimum amount of time that you must own your home, yet your home must have sufficient equity to qualify for VA refinancing.
- Existing loans can be refinanced whether they are in a current or delinquent status, but refinancing loans are subject to the same income and credit requirements as regular home loans.
- As long as you have title to the property you can refinance an assumed loan. Check with your lender as there are some additional regulations concerning assumed loans.
Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion...