Transition Assistance Program Overview

army transition 428x285

The Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program (TAP) provides Active Component Servicemembers (including AGR, AR and FTS) four major components:

  • Pre-Separation Counseling - mandatory and conducted by the Military Services
  • Department of Labor (DOL) Transition Assistance Program Employment
  • Workshops - facilitated and sponsored by DOL
  • Veterans Benefits Briefings - facilitated and sponsored by VA

Where to Start?
The transition process begins with the completion of the DD Form 2648, "Pre-Separation Counseling Checklist." This is a mandatory legal requirement and a copy of your DD Form 2648 is required to be filed in your personnel file.

All separating and retiring servicemembers should make an appointment to see their local Transition Counselor for information on transition services and benefits. Transition Counselors are located in the following offices at local military installations: 

    • Army: Army Career and Alumni Program - The Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP) is a military personnel function and the Centers are found under the Director of Human Resources (DHR) or the Military Personnel Office (MILPO).
    • Air Force: Airman and Family Readiness Center. You can find the nearest office using the military installation finder at:
    • Navy: Fleet and Family Support Center. Navy personnel should make an appointment with their Command Career Counselor for a Pre-separation counseling interview and the Navy CONSEP (Career Options and Skills Evaluation Program) self assessment at least 180 days prior to separation.
    • Marines: Career Resource Management Center (CRMC)/Transition & Employment Assistance Program Center.
    • Coast Guard: Worklife Division – Transition Assistance. Coast Guard Worklife staffs can be found at your nearest Integrated Support Command.

Related Topics

© 2015 Military Advantage