TRICARE Young Adult Program
TRICARE Young Adult is an option for unmarried, adult children who have "aged out" of regular TRICARE coverage. The plan provides comprehensive medical and pharmacy benefits.TRICARE young adult can be purchased by eligible children ages 21 - 26.
TRICARE Young Adult is considered minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
You may qualify to purchase TRICARE Young Adult if you're:
- A dependent of a TRICARE-eligible uniformed service sponsor
- At least age 21 but not yet 26 years old.
- If you're enrolled in a full course of study at an approved institution of higher learning and your sponsor provides more than half of your financial support, you aren't eligible for TRICARE young adult until age 23 or upon graduation, whichever comes first. Prior to that, you are eligible for TRICARE Prime or Standard.
- Not eligible to enroll in an employer-sponsored health plan based on your own employment
- Not otherwise eligible for TRICARE coverage
How it Works
TRICARE Young Adult offers the same coverage as TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Standard, the only difference is the cost. How you get care depends on which option you select:
What You Pay
TRICARE Young Adult costs are based on three things:
- The option you select when you enroll: Prime or Standard
- Your sponsor's military status
- Where the care is received
To participate, you're required to pay monthly premiums, and then your plan option and sponsor's military status determine what you pay for covered services.
How to Enroll
- Call your regional contractor
- Fax your enrollment form to your regional contractor
- Mail your enrollment form to your regional contractor
Visit the TRICARE Young Adult enrollment page for more information.