Members of the National Guard are eligible for tuition assistance. However each of the Armed Forces determines how to administer their own Tuition Assistance (TA). In addition each state may offer its National Guard servicemembers state funded education incentives based on state guidelines and eligibility (i.e. TA, waivers, exemptions, student loan repayment, etc.). Military.com has gathered the following information about National Guard TA benefits for each service.
Before you take your first college course, be sure to take the CLEP exams. This can save you time and money. Click here to read more about this and other DANTES Credit-by-Exam programs.
Army National Guard (ARNG)
The ARNG Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) provides financial assistance to part-time ARNG soldiers in support of their professional and personal self-development goals. A masters degree may be supported provided funding is available. Their vision is to provide quality programs, services and support that will enable soldiers to achieve their education objectives and further enhance the strength and relevance of the Army National Guard. Members of the Army National Guard may qualify for one or more of the following TA program:
Federal Tuition Assistance (Part-time Citizen Soldiers)
The ARNG maximum amount paid for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) for Part Time Soldiers is:
- 100% Tuition up to $250 @ Semester Credit Hour, or $167 @ Quarter Credit Hour
- Not to exceed $4500 @ Fiscal Year
- May be used with the Post-9/11 GI Bill or MGIB-Active Duty (AD) for the same course
- ARNG recommends that schools apply FTA prior to Pell Grants, to allow for maximizing benefit for student financial needs
Note: ARNG FTA operates on a limited budget and is NOT a guaranteed benefit. It is offered on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. Visit the Strength Maintenance Management System website (CAC Card Required) to access the National Guard Federal Tuition Assistance online application.
- Must have a valid expense from an accredited school
- Be a traditional (part-time) ARNG soldier in an active drilling status
- Eligible beginning the day member joins ARNG, even prior to boot camp or AIT or while yet in high school
- Officers must serve 4 years after course completion
- Enlisted must simply remain in the ARNG during term of courses
- Members receiving an ROTC scholarship are not eligible
State Tuition Assistance
Although not all states offer payment of TA, Many states have additional tuition incentives, which are offered at varying amounts. Visit our State Benefits page or the ANG Benefits website to determine your state benefits.
Go Army Ed (CTAM) TA (Activated Guard and Reserve)
If activated you will become eligible for the Army's Tuition Assistance for Active Duty and Activated Reserve/Guard.
The ACE TA program offers: 100% Tuition and Fees up to $250 @ Semester Credit Hour or $167 @ Quarter Credit Hour. Not to exceed $4,500 @ Fiscal Year.
Visit the Strength Maintenance Management System website (CAC Card Required) where you can get the latest information on Education Benefits for Citizen Soldiers.
Air National Guard (ANG)
The Air National Guard provides access to all DANTES credit-by-examination programs, Community College of the Air Force Associate Degree programs, federal tuition assistance for AGR members for distance learning courses, and state education benefits for all members.
State Tuition Assistance
Although not all states offer payment of TA, many states have additional tuition incentives, which are offered at varying amounts. Visit our State Benefits page or the ANG Benefits website to determine your state benefits.
Air Force Tuition Assistance (Activated Guard and Reserve)
If activated you will become eligible for the Air Force Tuition Assistance for Active Duty and Activated Reserve/Guard. This Tuition Assistance Program offers:
- 100% Tuition and Fees up to $250 @ Semester Credit Hour or $166 @ Quarter Credit Hour.
- Not to exceed $4,000 @ Fiscal Year.