Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Paying for college. Getty Images
Paying for college. Getty Images

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. The grant is similar to a Pell Grant, but is not limited by your family income like a Pell Grant is.

Who Can Get An Iraq And Afghanistan Service Grant?

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if

  • you are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your expected family contribution
  • meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements
  • your parent or guardian was a member of the military and died as a result of service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11
  • you are under 24 or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

How Much Money Can I Get?

The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant but can't exceed your cost of attendance for that award year.  For grants between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020 the maximum award is $6,195.00.

How Do I Get The Grant?

Completing and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is necessary to be eligible for ALL forms of federal financial aid, including grants, work-study, and federal student loans.

Get The Latest Financial Tips

Whether you're trying to balance your budget, build up your credit, select a good life insurance program, or are gearing up for a home purchase, has you covered. Sign up for a free membership and get the latest military benefit updates and tips delivered straight to your inbox.

Show Full Article