Moving with Pets
It can be easy to forget about pets in the course of preparing for and making a move, but it always pays to plan ahead.
It can be easy to forget about pets in the course of preparing for and making a move, but it always pays to plan ahead. Above all, remember to do the following:
- Make arrangements for transportation well in advance.
- Find out about any rules or regulations regarding pets in your new home and community. Many states have their own unique laws concerning pets, and you may need extra documentation in some cases.
- Have your pet checked over by a veterinarian before you move, and get all necessary health records and certificates. Your pet's health certificate should include a complete description of the pet, a list of all inoculations, and a statement that it is free from infectious diseases.
- Carry health and rabies certificates with you.
- Ask about vaccinations needed to travel to foreign countries.
- If your pet is excitable, or prone to motion sickness when traveling, ask your veternarian to prescribe medications.
Attach an ID tag to your pet's collar. The tag should include the pet's name, your name and destination address, and the name and address of a person to contact in case you can't be reached. There are also other ways of identifying your pet, i.e. leg bands, brands (for horses), tattoos, color photos, and/or registration papers. The pet's health certificate can be used for identification.
- Basically, there are two ways in which you can transport your pet: (1) by air, with the pet either accompanying you, or traveling as air freight or (2) in your personal motor vehicle. Futher information on each of these options is included in this guide.
- Check on the type and size of kennel needed for overseas shipment of pets.
- If you're traveling across the country, you can check on pet-friendly hotels at Petswelcome.com.
Tampa area readers, mark your calendar and sign up for the 2015 “Keeping a Career on the Move®” Military Spouse Symposium, presented by MOAA Spouse Programs in partnership with Hiring Our Heroes’ Military Spouse Program. The program will be held on Wednesday, 14 October 2015, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, at the A La Carte Events […]
- Military.com Network:
- About Military.com:
© 2015 Military Advantage