ACT and SAT Testing – Boost your Military Education
Many colleges require that students submit test results as part of the admission application process. Both the ACT and SAT are standardized tests that help colleges evaluate potential candidates. Some schools accept either test interchangeably, but service members should check with their education counselor prior to testing to ensure they are taking the correct exam. As you begin to think about college and creating the best application package possible, your admissions plan should begin with the question, "Which test should I take?"
Service members applying for an officer accession program, military-sponsored academy or professional program may also require a current ACT or SAT score to include with their application packet.
- Service members can take a total of (3) ACTs and (3) SATs, during their time of service, when taken at approved testing locations.
- The exams are funded and/or reimbursed when taken during time of service. A total of six exams are authorized; (3) ACTs and (3) SATs.
- The availability of testing options is increased for the service member, because they have one chance to test on a military installation and two additional chances to test at a National or International Test Center.
These exams can be taken at two types of testing locations:
DANTES Test Sites: These sites are located on military installations and run by education center government personnel.
-Service members can take (1) ACT and (1) SAT, during time of service, at a DANTES test site.
-Service members are required to take the essay portion of the SAT when taken at a DANTES Test site. SAT exams administered without the essay will not be scored.
ACT and/or SAT National and International Test Centers: These sites are commercially-run organizations.
-Service members can take (2) ACTs and (2) SATs, during their time of service, through National and International Test Centers.
Funding for these exams varies by testing location.
- When the initial exam is taken at a DANTES test site, funding is provided and no money is exchanged or required by the service member. Re-tests, however, must be paid for by the service member at the time of re-test.
- If the exams are taken at a National/International Test Center, the exam fees must be paid for by the service member at the time of testing. However, reimbursement is provided by DANTES via the DANTES online reimbursement request, located at http://www.dantes.doded.mil/examinations/funding-and-reimbursement-eligibility/reimbursement-eligibility.html.
Reimbursement means the exam must have been completed. A payment receipt and score report must accompany the DANTES online reimbursement request in order to be approved. Please submit the request within 90 days of test completion.
-When the exam is taken at a DANTES test site, your score report will be mailed to the address provided on the registration form. Delivery of your score report may take 6-8 weeks.
-If the exam is taken at a National/International Test Center, the quickest way to receive your exam score report is to create an account at the appropriate testing agency website (ACT or SAT). Download your score report to submit with your DANTES online reimbursement request.
ACT: Create your student account at: https://services.actstudent.org/OA_HTML/actibeCAcdLogin.jsp
SAT: Create your MYSAT account at: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/scores
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Visit the DANTES website at www.dantes.doded.mil.