Continued Health Care Benefit Plan
The Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) is a premium-based plan that:
- Gives you temporary health coverage for 18-36 months when you lose eligibility for TRICARE.
- Acts as a bridge between military health benefits and your new civilian health plan.
- Provides the same coverage as TRICARE Standard, including prescriptions.
- Gives you minimum essential coverage required by the Affordable Care Act, but it is temporary. You should consider your options for when CHCBP ends.
If you qualify, you can purchase the CHCBP within 60 days of the loss of TRICARE eligibility.
Who is Eligible for Continued Health Care Benefits?
You may qualify to purchase the CHCBP in the following scenarios. In all cases, the service member's separation must be under "other than adverse conditions. You must have an "honorable" or "general" discharge to qualify."
If you were using one of the following plans, it must have been purchased and in place at least one day before you lost legibility for you to qualify for CHCBP:
|Former Category||Scenario||Length of Coverage|
|Active Duty Service Member||Released from active duty||Up to 18 months|
|Full-time National Guard Member||Separated from full-time status||Up to 18 months|
|Member covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)||Loss of TAMP coverage||Up to 18 months|
|Selected Reserve member covered by TRS||Loss of TRS coverage||Up to 18 months|
|Retired Reserve member covered by TRR||Loss of TRR coverage (before age 60)||Up to 18 months|
|Dependent spouse or child||Loss of TRICARE coverage||Up to 36 months|
|Unremarried former spouse||Loss of TRICARE coverage||Up to 36 months*|
*Unremarried former spouses may qualify for additional coverage. Please check with Humana Military for details.
The CHCBP contractor is Humana Military, a division of Humana Government Business. Humana Military provides services for enrollment, authorization, claims processing and customer service. For more information about CHCBP or to see if you qualify:
- Visit the CHCBP website
- Call Humana Military at 800-444-5445