TRICARE Standard Overview
TRICARE Standard is the option that provides the most flexibility to eligible beneficiaries. It is the fee-for-service option that gives beneficiaries the opportunities to see any TRICARE-authorized provider, TRICARE Standard is not available to active duty service members. TRICARE Standard is available worldwide, see our TRICARE Standard Overseas page for more details on OCONUS use.
Beneficiaries who are happy with the treatment they currently receive from a specific civilian provider that may not be in the TRICARE provider network often choose to use TRICARE Standard. Some beneficiaries, especially retirees under age 65 and their families, may live in areas where the TRICARE Prime network is not available, and TRICARE Standard may be their only option.
TRICARE Standard meets the minimum essential coverage requirement of the Affordable Care Act.
Who is Eligible
- Active duty family members
- Retired service members and their families
- Family members of activated Guard/Reserve members
- Non-activated Guard/Reserve members and their families who qualify for care under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
- Retired Guard/Reserve members (age 60 and receiving retired pay) and their families
- Medal of Honor recipients and their families
- Qualified former spouses
How it Works
You don't have to apply for TRICARE Standard, as long as you are listed in DEERS you are eligible. You can schedule an appointment with any TRICARE-authorized provider, network or non-network.
- If you visit a non-network provider, you're using the Standard option.
- If you visit a network provider, you're using the Extra option.
Referrals not required, but you may need prior authorization from your regional contractor for some services.
With TRICARE Standard you must pay your Doctor when you receive service and file your own claim with TRICARE to get reimbursed.
For More Information
See our TRICARE Standard coverage page for more information, including coverage and costs.