Ask Ms. Vicki: I'm a Brand New Spouse, How Do I Find Support?


Dear Ms. Vicki,

I have a big problem.

I am a wife of a future soldier, and my husband just left to go to Fort Benning three weeks ago. I am attending college, and my mother was the person who was taking care of my daughters.

Two days ago we had an argument, because she thinks that everything depends on her. I don't want my mother to think I can't do things by myself, like attending school, taking care of my children.

I really need your help. I have to know where I can call to find assistance for child care because I have heard that military spouses have some benefits.


Spouse in Need

Dear Spouse,

You and your children can receive military ID cards that will give you access to health care, commissary and PX privileges.

Your husband will have to enroll you in the DEERS program. You can contact DEERS (Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System) at 800-538-9552 for more information. You can definitely be referred to outside child care services.

Military OneSource can give you some guidance and direction if you don't live near a military base. Their number is 800-342-9647. If you live near a military base, you can visit any family services office there.

I'm sorry to hear that you and your mother had an argument. Perhaps she is stressed for many reasons but is still trying to support you. I also know this is a stressful time for you too.

I hope things will work out for everyone. Let me know if I can help you further.


Ms. Vicki

Keep Up with the Ins and Outs of Military Life

For the latest military news and tips on military family benefits and more, subscribe to and have the information you need delivered directly to your inbox.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

SpouseBuzz Family and Spouse