Marine Corps Tuition Assistance (TA) pays up to 100% of tuition and required fees for taking college courses while on active duty.
Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Eligibility and Payment Rates
TA is available for all active duty Marines with at least 24 months of service. Tuition assistance is also available to reservists on continuous active duty, enlisted reservists ordered to active duty 120 days, and to reserve officers ordered to active duty for two years or more.
The Marine Corps will pay 100% Tuition and Fees not to exceed:
- $250 @ Semester Credit Hour, or
- $166 @ Quarter Credit Hour, and
- $4500 @ Fiscal Year
Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Eligibility
- First time users can only take one course for their first enrollment, all others are limited to a maximum of two courses at a time
- Minimum time in service of 24 months (O-5 and above commanders can reduce that to 18 months for highly qualified Marines)
- Must have a minimum GT score of 100 or a minimum TABE score of 10.2
- Must complete Marine Corps Institute (MCI) Personal Financial Management (Course ID 3420G).
Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Details
- TA can't be used if you have had or are pending disciplinary action.
- TA can't be used to pay for flight training.
- TA can't pay for the same course more than once.
- TA can't be approved retroactively. Applications must be submitted and command approved before the course starts.
- You must earn a grade of D or higher or P for passing all non-graduate level coursework, and C or higher for graduate level courses. If not, you have to repay all TA funds for that course.
- Fees no longer covered by TA include: equipment, supplies, exams, and costs associated with distance learning
- TA is authorized for graduate studies through the master's degree level; doctoral programs will not be funded
- Only schools with an approved DOD Voluntary Education Partnership MOU are eligible to participate in DOD Voluntary Education programs including military tuition assistance.
The rules and regulations regarding TA can be found in MCO 1560.25.