GI Bill benefits are available for Selected Reserve and National Guard members to help with education and training costs. The guide topics include the following:
The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), is available to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as the National Guard.
Besides the MGIB-SR, activated reserve and Guard service members may be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill if they were activated under certain conditions. See our Post-9/11 GI Bill page for more details.
The MGIB-SR benefit is worth over $11,000. This amount is based on the current monthly full-time student payment rate multiplied by the 36-month limit. This "payment rate" automatically increases on October 1 each year. You get the increase no matter when you became eligible or start using it.
Note: Your actual benefits may be higher if you signed up for the Army, Navy or Marine Corps College Funds.
To be eligible for the MGIB-SR you must meet the following criteria:
- Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve or Guard signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation.
- Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).
- Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT.
- Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.
Using Your GI Bill
Your GI Bill can be used to pay for many different programs including the following:
- College degree programs including Associate, Bachelor, and advanced degree programs
- Vocational/Technical Training including non-college degree programs
- On-the-job/Apprenticeship Training
- Licensing & Certification Reimbursement
- National Testing Programs such as SAT, CLEP, AP, etc
- Flight Training
- Correspondence Training
- Work-study programs
- Tuition Assistance Top-Up
- Tutorial Assistance
Keep Up With Your Education Benefits
Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, Military.com can help. Sign up for a free Military.com membership to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.