Relationship Topics

Sign up for the Spouse & Family Newsletter

Most Popular Relationships Articles

Husband Ordered to Provide Military ID Cards for Son, Ex-Girlfriend

Ms. Vicki

Dear Ms. Vicki,

My husband is going through a custody case with his ex and their son. The civilian judge ordered my husband to provide a military ID for his son, who is 4 years old, and also one to his ex-girlfriend. Is this even possible?

Also, the judge ordered my husband to provide them with a medical ID card through Tricare. I have checked Tricare's website, and it looks like the only way to obtain one is by having a military ID. Any information is greatly appreciated.

-- Leslie

Dear Leslie,

His child can definitely have an ID card, and the ID card also serves as a health care card. If the child visits a doctor who accepts Tricare, his guardian will show the ID card.

As for the child's mother, I'm not sure whether she can have an ID card. Contact the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System at 800-538-9552. This is the agency that handles ID cards, and it will make sure your stepson is in the system for health care and answer your questions.

Please keep in touch and let me know what you find out. That information will be helpful to my readers.

-- Ms. Vicki

Related Topics

Ask Ms. Vicki Family and Spouse

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!


Ms. Vicki, a native of Dallas, has been the ‘Dear Abby’ for the military community since her column began in 2005. A licensed therapist and licensed clinical social worker, Ms. Vicki holds a Master of Science in social work and a Master of Arts in clinical psychology. Her column has appeared in the Washington (D.C.) Times and in the Heidelberg (Germany) Post Herald. She has been featured on CNN, CBS, ABC and NBC.

Ms. Vicki has retired from writing new columns for Although Ms. Vicki is no longer offering new advice on, you can still email military benefits questions to our Questions and Benefits team. Need military spouse career help? Email our Dear Career writers.