Identification Cards

Most military benefits for members and dependents such as exchange stores, commissaries, recreation facilities, theaters, and medical care facilities (including TRICARE) require a valid identification card. Military members are issued ID cards (DD Form 2) upon entry on active duty and may obtain replacement or corrected cards at most service installations.

Dependent ID Cards:

DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card), is used to apply for issue or reissue of ID cards (dependents use DD Form 1173). DD Form 1172 is automated and generated through DEERS. Information must be verified from the sponsor?s personnel records or from appropriate documentation as applicable, such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, certification of student status, adoption papers, or medical statements. The services have agreed to assist each other in issuing ID cards to eligible dependents upon presentation of appropriate documentation.

DD Form 1173 generally expires four years from date of issue or expiration of a sponsor's obligated service.

ID cards must be surrendered when they are replaced or expired or upon demand of a commissioned or noncommissioned officer or security or military police acting in the performance of duty or when the cardholder becomes ineligible. Eligible dependents are generally defined as:

  • Lawful spouse
  • Unremarried surviving spouse
  • Unmarried children (including adopted or stepchildren) who are:
    • Under 21 years of age.
    • Over 21 but incapable of self-support (Substantiating documentation is required).
    • Over 21 but under 23 who are attending an approved learning institution as a full time student (Documentation is required).
  • Parent or parent-in-law who is dependent for over one-half of his/her support on member. For medical care privileges, parent or parent-in-law must also reside in dwelling place provided or maintained by the member. Consult ID card issuing activity of sponsor?s service for clarification or assistance in obtaining determination of eligibility.
  • Wards (as defined in appropriate instructions).
  • Unremarried former spouse (One whose final decree of divorce is on or after February 1, 1983, and has been married to a military sponsor for a minimum of 20 years during which time the military member must have served 20 years of creditable service for retirement purposes).

A remarried widow whose second marriage ends in divorce or death may receive commissary, theater, and exchange benefits but not medical benefits.

Get the

Spouse & Family Insider


Spouse Buzz

How to Avoid Military Charity Scammers

A 67-year-old Ohio man was sentenced to 28 years in prison for masterminding a $100 million Navy veterans charity fraud. ┬áThe judge said that not only had the scam hurt the veterans who were intended to be the beneficiaries of this charity, but it hurt other charities because it makes donors “skeptical of giving.” Bing! ... Continue Reading

© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.