4 Steps to Getting Back on Your Feet After a Storm
If your property is damaged during a hurricane or other natural disaster, follow these steps to help get back on your feet.
- Report your claim.
- Make temporary repairs. Don't take unnecessary risks trying to secure your property or take photographs of damage after a storm. First, make sure you and your loved ones are safe. Then:
- Take reasonable steps to protect your property from further damage. Don't make permanent repairs until a claims adjuster has assessed the damage.
- Photograph debris or destroyed items before you have them removed or repaired.
- Beware of contractors who ask for a large amount of money upfront and contractors whose bids are very low — they might cut corners and leave you with problems after they're gone.
- Save receipts for what you spend, and submit them to your USAA adjuster for possible reimbursement.
- If you need to relocate, keep the receipts. Keep records of all additional expenses. Homeowners insurance generally provides coverage for additional living expenses if your home is damaged by a disaster that's covered by your policy. Review your policy coverage to see the extent of this kind of coverage and how long it will last. It's also important to review and update your contact information with your insurance company, especially if you're at a temporary address and using a different phone number.
- Prepare for the adjuster's visit. Provide your insurance company with complete information about the damage to your property. Include a description of damaged or destroyed items, dates of purchase and what it would cost to replace or repair them.
There can be a lot of confusion about the relationship between military retirement pay and other benefits and federal benefits such as social security and Medicare. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that there are regular changes to the situation, and the internet contains a lot of outdated information. Retirement Pay A relatively […]
- Military.com Network:
- About Military.com:
© 2015 Military Advantage