Like many Veterans, you have probably avoided going to college because you feel you lack the needed academic skills. After all, it's been years since you went to school. Thanks to the Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program you don't have to let your rusty academic skills keep you from getting your degree and pursuing the career of your dreams.
Veterans Upward Bound is a free U.S. Department of Education program designed to help you refresh your academic skills and give you the confidence you need to successfully complete your choice of college degrees.
The VUB program services include:
- Basic skills development to help veterans successfully complete a high school equivalency program and gain admission to college education programs.
- Short-term remedial or refresher classes for high school graduates that have put off pursuing a college education.
- Assistance with applications to the college or university of choice.
- Assistance with applying for financial aid.
- Personalized Counseling.
- Academic advice and assistance.
- Career Counseling.
- Assistance in getting veterans services from other available resources.
- Exposure to cultural events, academic programs, and other educational activities not usually available to disadvantaged people.
The VUB program can help you improve your skills in:
- Foreign Language
- Laboratory Science
- Computer Basics
- Any other subjects you may need for success in education beyond high school.
- And Tutorial & Study Skills Assistance.
To be eligible for VUB you must:
- Be a U.S. Military veteran with 181 or more days active duty service and discharged on/after January 31, 1955, under conditions other than dishonorable; and
- Meet the criteria for Low-income according to guidelines published annually by the U.S. Department of Education, AND/OR a first-generation potential college graduate; and
- Demonstrate academic need for Veterans Upward Bound according; and
- Meet other local eligibility criteria as noted in the local VUB project's Approved Grant Proposal, such as county of residence, etc.
The next step:
Your next step should be to contact your local Veterans Upward Bound Program. Your local VUB office will help you get started on the process and answer any questions you may have.
Note: Currently, there are 39 VUB programs nationwide and in Puerto Rico ready to serve veterans.