Most Popular Military News

More Military Headlines

Pentagon Probe of Niger Deaths Won't Be Done Before January

Nigerien soldiers receive a counter IED class as part of Exercise Flintlock 2017 in Diffa, Niger, Feb. 28, 2017. (U.S. Army photo/Staff Sgt. Kulani Lakanaria)
Nigerien soldiers receive a counter IED class as part of Exercise Flintlock 2017 in Diffa, Niger, Feb. 28, 2017. (U.S. Army photo/Staff Sgt. Kulani Lakanaria)

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has told family members of the four U.S. soldiers killed last month in Niger that its investigation won't be finished until at least January.

In a statement Wednesday, the Pentagon said Army officials contacted the families this week to give them an idea of when to expect answers to the many questions that have arisen since the soldiers were killed in an ambush Oct. 4.

They were told the investigation is expected to be finished in January but could go longer.

An Army investigation team will travel to numerous locations in the U.S., Africa and Europe to gather information. The team is led by Army Maj. Gen. Roger Cloutier, the chief of staff at U.S. Africa Command.

--This article was written by Robert Burns from The Associated Press and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

Related Topics

Headlines Niger Global Hot Spots Pentagon Army

Military News App by Military.com

Download the new Military.com News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

You May Also Like