This article is provided courtesy of Stars and Stripes, which got its start as a newspaper for Union troops during the Civil War, and has been published continuously since 1942 in Europe and 1945 in the Pacific. Stripes reporters have been in the field with American soldiers, sailors and airmen in World War II, Korea, the Cold War, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Bosnia and Kosovo, and are now on assignment in the Middle East.
Stars and Stripes has one of the widest distribution ranges of any newspaper in the world. Between the Pacific and European editions, Stars and Stripes services over 50 countries where there are bases, posts, service members, ships, or embassies.
Stars and Stripes Website
SEOUL — The U.S. Pacific Command has shut down the task force it set up two weeks ago to assist in relief efforts following Typhoon Haiyan, the storm that killed thousands in the Philippines.
Joint Task Force 505 ended its mission Sunday “now that the unique capabilities of the U.S. military are no longer required,” its headquarters at Camp Aguinaldo in Manila said in a statement.
A small contingent is still in the Philippines to oversee the pullout of the task force’s remaining elements. As of last week, about 1,100 U.S. troops were on the ground and about 1,900 were on ships in support of Operation Damayan. At their peak, the relief efforts involved more than 13,400 U.S. military personnel, 66 aircraft and 12 naval vessels. American troops ran airfields, purified water, distributed aid and evacuated more than 21,000 people after one of the most powerful storms to ever make landfall battered the country’s midsection Nov. 8.
U.S. fixed-wing and tilt-rotor aircraft were crucial in providing access to remote or inaccessible areas.
The U.S. military conducted more than 1,300 flights and delivered more than 2,495 tons of supplies. As road conditions improved, responsibility for relief efforts gradually passed to the Philippine military and international aid organizations, including the U.S. Agency for International Development.The 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade from Okinawa provided the initial U.S. military response to the disaster, which reduced much of the coastal city of Tacloban and other parts of Leyte province to rubble. The USS George Washington aircraft carrier, and later the amphibious ships the USS Ashland and the USS Germantown, were sent to the crisis areas.
In an interview last week at Camp Aguinaldo, the Joint Task Force 505 deputy commander for transition said the U.S. operation had run smoothly.
“I’ve served in the Army for 27 years, and I’ve done operations around the world and I don’t think that we could have done it differently or better,” said Brig. Gen. Kurt J. Ryan, commander of the 593D Sustainment Command at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington.