35 Instructors Removed at Lackland in Last Year

About 8 percent of the instructors at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas have been removed for misconduct, base records show.

The San Antonio Express-News obtained Air Force records under the Freedom of Information Act. The newspaper Tuesday reported 35 of 473 instructors were dismissed from their jobs in the past year, either temporarily or permanently for "unprofessional conduct."

The allegations include sexual misconduct on the part of several instructors. One, Staff Sgt. Luis Walker, has been charged with having sex with 10 women who were at the base for basic or technical training.

Col. Polly Kenny, who is with the Judge Advocate in Biloxi, Miss., said a majority of the 35 were not involved in sexual misconduct.

"For that many people to have been removed from that program, in my knowledge and experience, is unheard of, because the numbers in that period of time are mind-boggling," retired Brig. Gen. Richard Coleman, who formerly headed the Air Force Security Services command, said Monday.

Related Topics

© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.