Wounded Warrior Fellowship Program

The Wounded Warrior Program is a program established to create fellowships that will provide employment opportunities for wounded or disabled veterans within the House of Representatives.  Positions may become available in Member, committee and leadership offices in Washington, DC and in district offices nationwide. Those selected for the program will be given the opportunity to rotate into various positions and, if a fit is found, transition into full-time employment.  However, full time employment is not guaranteed at the conclusion of the two year fellowship. 

The positions will be filled by veterans with a 30 percent or greater service connected disability rating from either a military Physical Evaluation Board or the Department of Veterans Affairs.  If a fellowship is located within a Member's district, the appointment is contingent on the Representative's continuous representation of that district.

Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below to learn how to be considered for one of these fellowships.

Q. How do I apply to the House's Wounded Warrior Program?

A. Applicants must be referred to the House's Wounded Warrior program by a representative of one of the organizations listed below or any Veterans Service Organization recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Department of Veterans Affairs
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program
Send your resume and cover letter to the VA Regional Office that maintains your VA Claim to the attention of the VRE Officer/Employment Coordinator,  indicating that you wish to be considered for employment with the U. S. House of Representatives? Wounded Warrior Program.

U. S. Marine Corps
Go to the Marine Services tab
Go to Wounded Warrior Regiment and click on Wounded Warrior Hot Jobs

U. S. Army
U. S. Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2)

Seriously injured soldiers who meet the criteria set forth on the AW2 website may register and submit a resume there. On the AW2 website, soldiers should also request consideration for the House's Wounded Warrior Program.  All other disabled soldiers with a rating of 30 percent or greater should contact their AW2 Advocate to submit a resume for positions with the U.S. House of Representatives.

U. S. Navy
Navy Safe Harbor Program
Email: safeharbor@navy.mil
Website: www.npc.navy.mil/comandsupport/safeharbor

U. S. Air Force
Air Force Wounded Warrior Program

U. S. Coast Guard
Coast Guard personnel pending medical discharge and former Coast Guard personnel with disabilities of 30 percent or greater, should send a resume and cover letter requesting consideration for the House's program to the following address:

Coast Guard Personnel Command
Physical Evaluation Board
4200 Wilson Blvd
Suite 950
Arlington, VA 22203

Q. What is the definition of a 'Wounded Warrior' as it relates to the House's  Wounded Warrior Program?

A. Any disabled veteran who has received either a Memorandum Rating of 30 percent or greater from their service Physical Evaluation Board or a VA service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or greater will be eligible to apply for positions with this program.  Candidates for employment must have been honorably discharged and possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.

Q. What if I do not know my rating?

A. All military personnel discharged through the Disability Evaluation System for service incurred injuries or illnesses receive a determination of findings.  If you have not received that finding or have misplaced your letter, you should contact your appropriate service headquarters.  If you have misplaced your disability rating from the Department of Veterans Affairs, you may obtain a letter from your VA Regional Benefits Office that confirms your disability rating.

Q. If I am referred by one of the above agencies for a position with the House's Wounded Warrior Program, how will I be contacted and when will I start working?

A. After the program receives your referral and resume you will be contacted directly by a representative of the Wounded Warrior Program. Starting dates will be dependant upon when vacancies become available.

Q. How much will I be paid as a Wounded Warrior Fellow?

A. Salaries will vary from job to job, depending on the duties and recommendations from the office or Congressional Member that has hired the wounded warrior.

Q. Will all fellowship positions lead to full time work?

A. Fellowship positions are not a guarantee of continued employment. However, the opportunity for full time employment may arise.

Q. Is there reimbursement for relocation expenses?

A. Reimbursement will NOT be paid to veterans who accept a position that requires relocation.

Q. Are all Wounded Warrior Fellowships located in Washington, D. C. area?

A. While most positions will be located in Washington, D.C., we expect that positions will also be available nationwide, in the district offices of Members of Congress.
© 2015 Military Advantage