Related Benefits Articles

Most Popular Veteran State Benefits Articles

  • us map with state abbreviations
    State Veteran's Benefits
    Every state and territory offers benefits for veterans and their families. See our details, updated for 2016!
  • Texas Map and Flag
    Texas State Veteran's Benefits
    The state of Texas provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.
  • Florida Chalkboard Map
    Florida State Veteran's Benefits
    The state of Florida provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefi...
  • California Map
    California State Veteran's Benefits
    The state of California provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following ben...
  • North Carolina Flag
    North Carolina State Veteran's Benefits
    The state of North Carolina provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following...

Minnesota State Veteran's Benefits

Minnesota Flag

The state of Minnesota provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

Minnesota Veteran Housing Programs

Minnesota Veterans' Homes
Minnesota Veterans' Homes are located in Fergus Falls, Hastings, Luverne, Minneapolis and Silver Bay.

There is also an Adult Day Center located in the Minneapolis Veterans' Home. The Adult Day Center provides a broad array of therapeutic health care services – delivered by trained, highly dedicated professionals. It is a Veteran-based community that allows participants to connect with other Veterans in a safe, comfortable environment. The Adult Day Center allows participants to achieve the highest attainable level of physical, mental and social well-being – with the independence of living at home. It also provides much-needed respite – and a full array of support services – for Veterans’ caregivers.

Admission to Minnesota Veterans Homes is available to honorably discharged veterans who entered service from Minnesota, or are current residents, who served 181 consecutive days on active duty, unless discharged earlier because of disability incurred in the line of duty. The spouse of an eligible Veteran who is at least 55 years old and meets residency requirements. The applicant must also be able to demonstrate a medical or clinical need for admission. Residents contribute to the cost of their care according to their means.

Back to top

Minnesota Employment Benefits

MN Veterans Preference Act
MN Veterans Preference Act (VPA) grants veterans a limited preference over non-veterans in hiring and promotion for MN public employment and also provides protection against unfair dismissals and demotions. VPA grants veterans the right to a hearing, prior to dismissal.

Back to top

Minnesota Education Benefits

Minnesota GI Bill
The Minnesota GI Bill is available to Minnesota Veterans who served honorably in any branch of the armed forces at any time; non-veterans who served honorably for a cumulative total of five years or more as a member of the MN National Guard or any other active or reserve component and had active service after September 11, 2001; or eligible spouses, surviving spouses, and children of permanently and totally disabled veterans who are eligible for the Federal GI Bill under Chapters 33 or 35.

Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester (up to $3,000 per academic year and $10,000 per lifetime).

OJT and Apprenticeship individuals are eligible for up to $2,000 per fiscal year for either program. Approved employers are eligible to receive $1,000 placement credit payable upon hiring a person under this program and another $1,000 after 12 consecutive months of employment.

Recipients must be a Minnesota resident under the age of 62, and enrolled at a Minnesota institution.

Back to top

Other Minnesota State Veteran Benefits

Guardianship Division
The Guardianship Division provides financial case management services to incompetent veterans, their dependents, and survivors, who may be vulnerable to exploitation by others or by their own inabilities to manage their funds.

Minnesota State Veterans Cemetery
The Minnesota State Veterans Cemeteries provide dignified burial services to Minnesota veterans and their eligible dependents and survivors. They are located 7 miles north of Little Falls, on the banks of the Mississippi River, and in Preston in southeastern Minnesota. Both cemeteries are managed and maintained by the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs.

Bronze Star Grave Markers
The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs offers bronze stars to mark the grave site of any veteran buried in the state, where permitted. Bronze Star Markers are available through your local county veterans service officer.

Visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Services website for more information about any of these programs.

Related Topics

Veteran Benefits

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles

  • VA Loan Closing Costs: An Added Benefit
    Besides the advantage of requiring no down payment for qualified VA borrowers, there's also a distinct advantage for the borrow...
  • White suburban home.
    IRRRL Facts for Veterans
    IRRRL stands for Interest Rate Reduction Refinancing Loan,also known as a "Streamline" or a "VA to VA" loan.
  • US Map Showing High Cost Counties
    VA Loan Limits for High-Cost Counties 2017
    The VA loan limit for 2017 is $424,100. But it could actually be substantially more if you buy a home in a “high-cost” county.
  • Get the FAQs on VA Home Loans
    We've answered 16 of the most frequently asked VA Loan Benefit questions. View them now to get a quick understanding of your be...
  • Top 3 VA Home Loan Tips
    There are numerous advantages to having a VA mortgage. A VA mortgage loan can be guaranteed with no money down, in some cases u...
© 2016 Military Advantage