ARLINGTON, Va. — With a March 12 deadline fast approaching, only some 1,250
airmen have asked the Air Force for an early out under the first phase of a
"force shaping" project to eliminate 16,600 airmen from the force over the next
And more than half of those who have had offered to leave early have had
their applications disapproved, according to statistics provided by Air Force
The Air Force must cut thousands from its personnel roster because soaring
retention rates and stop-loss orders have boosted the service's manning levels
beyond the Congressionally authorized end strength of 359,000 airmen.
Those airmen must be gone by Sept. 30, 2005, the end of the government's
fiscal 2005, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. John Jumper said in a Jan. 29
message to the force.
Hoping to avoid involuntary layoffs, which are known in the government as
"reductions in force," or RIFs, Air Force officials have devised a multistage
plan to entice airmen to leave of their own accord.
The first stage, which opened Feb. 4, gives airmen until March 12 to submit
applications for a number of special programs, including waivers for early outs
and moves into the Reserve components, and gives the Air Force a better sense
of what steps will need to be taken before September 2005.
But as of Feb. 27, only 1,247 airmen had submitted applications to leave
early, including 51 officers and 1,191 enlisted airmen, Air Force spokeswoman
Jennifer Stephens said Thursday.
"The early-out program is off to a slower start than we had hoped," Stephens
said Friday. "However, leaving the active-duty force is a big decision, so
people may be taking time to research their options to make the right decision
for themselves and their families."
Applications from 18 officers and 651 enlisted were disapproved, while seven
officers and 282 enlisted airmen had been approved, Stephens said.
Applications from 26 officers and 258 enlisted were still pending, Stephens
The applications are approved and reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and
approval largely turns on whether a particular job field is under- or
over-manned, Stephens said.
The "majority" of unsuccessful applicants were mostly airmen who perform jobs
that have spot shortages in some ranks — and the applicant happened to be of
that rank, Stephens said.
After the March 12 deadline arrives, Air Force officials plan to take a
couple of months to analyze where the first phase succeeded and where it
failed, Maj. Dawn Keasley, the Air Force's chief of retirement and separation
policy, told Stripes on Feb. 4.
Once the service has a handle on how many airmen they'll need to cut in the
second phase, officials will announce a new round of initiatives that will
probably begin in June, Keasley said.
Sound Off...What do you think?
Join the discussion.
This article is provided courtesy
of Stars & Stripes, which got its start as
a newspaper for Union troops during the Civil War, and
has been published continuously since 1942 in Europe and
1945 in the Pacific. Stripes reporters have been
in the field with American soldiers, sailors and airmen
in World War II, Korea, the Cold War, Vietnam, the Gulf
War, Bosnia and Kosovo, and are now on assignment in the
Stars & Stripes Website
Copyright 2004 Stars & Stripes. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.