Space-A Travel FAQ

Space-A travellers are loaded into a C-17 headed for Dover Air Force Base, Del., April 21, 2008. (Photo: U.S. Air Force)
Space-A travellers are loaded into a C-17 headed for Dover Air Force Base, Del., April 21, 2008. (Photo: U.S. Air Force)

People not familiar with the Space A system often do not know the questions to ask to make their travel easier. The following are some of the most common Space A questions and their answers:

Who can fly on Space A aircraft?

There are six different categories of personnel who can travel Space A. See our Space A Eligibility page for details.

Is Space A travel a reasonable substitute for travel on a commercial airline?

The answer depends on you! If your travel schedule is flexible and your finances permit for a stay (sometimes in a "high-cost" area), while awaiting movement, space available travel is a good travel choice. While some travelers sign up and travel may be the same day, many factors could come together to make buying a commercial ticket your best or only option. Remember, Space A travel success depends on flexibility and good timing.

Who determines eligibility to fly Space A? 

The military services jointly establish Space A eligibility. AMC's first responsibility is airlifting official DoD traffic. Space A passengers are accommodated only after official duty passengers and cargo.

Are Space A opportunities assigned with regard to rank or status?

Reservations cannot be made for any Space A passenger. All Space A travel is assigned based on when you signed up.

How long does my name stay on the Space A list?

All travelers remain on the register 60 days after registration, for the duration of their leave orders authorization, or until they are selected for travel, whichever occurs first.

Do I have to be in uniform to travel?

Each branch determines their own travel uniform policies. Currently, only the Marine Corps requires members to be in uniform when traveling Space-A.

How much baggage can I take?

As a Space A traveler, you may check two pieces of luggage at 70 pounds each per person. Family members traveling together may pool their baggage allowance as long as the total does not exceed the total allowance. You may hand carry only what fits under your seat or in the overhead compartment, if available.

Can I pay for excess baggage when flying space available?

No. Only duty status passengers may pay for excess baggage.

Can my pet travel with me on a Space A flight?

No. DoD has reserved pet shipments for passengers in permanent change of station (PCS) status. Additionally, travel with pets would be difficult at best due to limited aircraft pet spaces, pet import documentation requirements, and the possibility of quarantine in the event of an aircraft divert.

Will Space A travel cost much?

In general, no. Some terminals must collect a head tax or a federal inspection fee from Space A passengers on commercial contract missions. Meals may be purchased at a nominal fee out of most air terminals while traveling on military aircraft. Meal service on AMC Category B full planeload charters is complimentary.

What facilities are available at AMC terminals (nursery, BX, snack bar)?

Facilities at most military terminals are generally the same as commercial facilities. The type of facility available will vary according to the terminal size and location. 

NOTE: Most AMC passenger terminals close at night. Space A travelers should be prepared to defray billeting expenses.

What is the best time of the year to travel Space A?

Any time other than peak travel and holidays (December-January and June-July) periods.

Is it easier to go to some destinations?

Yes. Places where we have military bases (Germany) are much easier than those without them (Australia or New Zealand).

Can I call the bases for flight information? If so, what are the phone numbers?

While you can call the base for flight information, AMC recommends contacting the closest AMC passenger terminal or the terminal at the location you intend to depart from. Most terminals have a Facebook page, AMC recommends using Facebook to contact them. Most questions will be answered within 24 hours.

For more Frequently Asked Questions please see the AMC website.

Stay on Top of Your Military Benefits

Military benefits are always changing. Keep up with everything from pay to health care by subscribing to, and get access to up-to-date pay charts and more with all latest benefits delivered straight to your inbox.

Story Continues
Travel Benefits