Will They Pay for a Split Military Move?

Military.com photo

Dear Q&B --

We are up for a stateside military move this spring, but I have a son in high school.

My husband wants to PCS ahead of us so that my son can finish the school year. But we can't afford to pay for two households or to move our own belongings.

I heard that the military might soon pay for a split military move for people like us. Is that true? Where can I get more information?

-- Moving Mom

Dear Mom --

The older kids get, the harder it is to rip them out of their schools for a military move.

You likely heard about a rule included in the proposed 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to allow a split military move. Under that proposal, your husband would be moved by the military and provided a stipend or quarters for his time as a geographical bachelor. When you are ready to follow him with your household and kids, a second move process would be provided.

Unfortunately, that measure got thrown out by lawmakers and didn't make it into the final version of the NDAA. Instead, lawmakers ordered a report on family stability in the Defense Department without putting in place any new benefits. Helpful, right?

So what are your options without that new law? The best thing to do is to check with your local travel office as to whether they allow for "delayed shipments," which will allow you to move after orders are cut.

If you live on base, you also need to check with the housing office as to how long you can stay while your spouse has orders elsewhere.

Sadly, none of the options or programs currently available across the services will pay for housing for your husband during a split military move. You would be on your own for footing that bill.

Someday, we hope the military offers a program like what you're looking for.

-- Team Q&B

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Benefits Family and Spouse PCS