Federal Jobs Spotlight: Is Federal Work for You?
The Partnership for Public Service (PPS) - an organization dedicated to re-establishing the federal government as an ideal employer - asked the same question of current federal employees in one of their reports titled, "A Golden Opportunity - Recruiting Baby Boomers into Government." The PPS found those employees were attracted to the federal government for the following reasons:
Interesting and Challenging Work
• Federal employees can address pressing national issues
• Have a chance to impact the lives of all Americans
• Federal service is meaningful public service
• The public sector offers extensive health care and insurance programs
• Ample leave and vacation time
• Three-part retirement program
• There are a little more than 193,000 mission critical job openings that will need to be filled by the end of 2009
• All occupational backgrounds are valued and sought after
• There are job openings in all 50 states and across the world
• Flexible work arrangements
• Competitive Salaries
• Jobs Security
• Development and training opportunities
Veterans should continue to weigh their career options once they leave the service, but the federal government wants to make itself a great fit for former military personnel. If servicemembers, are still not sure of whether the public sector is right for them, they can chat with a veteran who works in one of the federal agencies on Military.com's Veteran Career Network.
Click here to connect with a veteran working in the public sector.