Connect
Get the

Early Brief

Sign-up
Newsletter

Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales

Soldiers Called Bales Paranoid Before Killings

An image taken from the investigation into Staff Sgt. Robert Bales after he killed 16 people in Afghanistan. Soldiers took this photo of Bales after his arrest at Village Stability Platform Belambay. U.S. Army photo

Tacoma News Tribune | Jul 07, 2014

Months before he committed an inexplicable massacre, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales showed a split personality to his fellow soldiers at a small outpost in Southern Afghanistan. As far as soldiers who outranked him were concerned, the Tacoma-area soldier was the "even keeled" combat veteran whom leaders could trust. "Nothing would have led me to beli... more

Soldier to Admit Afghan Massacre

Associated Press | May 30, 2013

SEATTLE - Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was "crazed" and "broken" when he slipped away from his remote southern Afghanistan outpost and attacked mud-walled compounds in two slumbering villages nearby. Next week, Bales will recount what happened next - the slaughter of 16 villagers in one of the worst atrocities of the Afghanistan war. He'll give spec... more

Army Won't Release Report on Bales' Commanders

Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales

Tacoma News Tribune | Feb 07, 2014

The Army is refusing to release its investigation into the officers who commanded Staff Sgt. Robert Bales just before the former Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier slipped out of his combat outpost and murdered 16 Afghan civilians two years ago. The Defense Department this week denied Freedom of Information Act requests from The News Tribune and ... more

Villagers Unsatisfied by Life Sentence for Bales

Associated Press | Aug 24, 2013

JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. - The villagers traveled nearly 7,000 miles to learn the fate of the American soldier who gunned down their children, siblings and parents, who set their lifeless bodies afire with a kerosene lantern. And when the news came, it came in a simple gesture: a thumb's up from their interpreter. A military jury sentenc... more

Judge Says Prosecutors Can Remain on Bales Case

Associated Press | Aug 15, 2013

SEATTLE - A military judge says a team of Army prosecutors can remain on the case of Staff Sgt. Robert Bales for his sentencing next week, even after they read documents they weren't supposed to. Bales pleaded guilty to killing 16 Afghan civilians during nighttime raids last year. His lawyers asked the judge, Col. Jeffery Nance, on Tuesday to ... more

© 2014 Military Advantage
A Monster Company.