DeCA's Military Appreciation Events
Honoring service members and their families in observance of Military Appreciation Month highlights commissary promotions offering extra discounts during May.
“You could also call this the ‘Month of the Super Coupon,’” said Chris Burns, the Defense Commissary Agency’s director of sales, “because there’s a wealth of high-value coupons available in May for commissary shoppers worldwide – get them while supplies last!”
Throughout May, DeCA’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – will host many in-store promotions and provide extra savings focused on Military Appreciation Month. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check their local commissary for the following super sales events:
- Cinco de Mayo. From April 26-May 9, commissary customers will find coupons while supplies last on Old El Paso products, as well as Ortega’s Dinner Kits and Mission Tortilla Chips and Salsa.
- “Salad Days.” From April 26-May 30, Kraft will offer special coupons while supplies last on salad dressing and mayonnaise along with offers on fresh produce items.
- “Enlist in a Healthier Lifestyle Sale.” From April 26-May 30, Acosta will offer more than 400,000 coupon flyers in commissaries worldwide. A portion of the proceeds from this sale will go to the Fisher House Foundation. A Fisher House provides a “home away from home” for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and Veterans Affairs medical centers.
- “Just Add Milk.” From April 26-May 9, General Mills will offer high-value coupons while supplies last on any “big G” cereal and nutritional snacks, including a coupon for free milk with multiple purchases.
- Canoe giveaway. Throughout the summer, Hershey will sponsor the Old Town Saranac 14-foot canoe giveaway event. This store display will promote all of Hershey’s chocolate and Twizzler products and military-specific instant redeemable coupons.
- Road to Fitness. From April 26-May 30, the Kellogg’s Company offers shoppers a chance to win free bicycles.” Kellogg’s will also offer various coupons and product demonstrations. Additional savings on fresh produce will be offered when Kellogg’s products are purchased.
- “Get Fired Up with Sizzling Savings.” From May 10-30, commissaries will celebrate National Barbeque Month, and Con Agra Foods will offer recipe books containing more than $10 in coupon savings.
- “Proud Sponsor of Moms.” From April 26-May 9, Proctor & Gamble will offer a brand-saver coupon flyer in the commissary valued at about $70 on P&G products. A portion of the proceeds goes to P&G sponsorship of Army Staff Sgt. Dremeil Byers, who is competing on the U.S. Olympic wrestling team.
- “Salute to Military Families.” Continuing through May 9, S&K Sales Company is offering coupons distributed through Family Magazine in the United States and by Maxi Saver in overseas commissaries. A portion of each product’s purchase price will be donated to the National Military Family Association.
- “Tribute to the Troops.” From April 26-May 30, Gatorade will be honoring military members with customized “military in uniform” labels on its 32-ounce bottles. Through its “Honoring Our Heroes” contest, Gatorade will offer commissary shoppers the opportunity to honor their military heroes by going to www.gatorademilitary.com and, in 200 words or less, tell Gatorade who deserves to be awarded cash and free groceries. Those nominated must be authorized commissary patrons. Three prize levels will be offered to include cash and commissary gift cards. Each participant who submits an essay online will be provided a VIP “Free Product Gatorade” coupon redeemable only in a commissary. In addition, all winners will be recognized at their commissary and in military media publications.
- “The Avengers.” From May 10-30, as part of the May movie launch of “The Avengers,” the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group will be offering four commissary customers the chance to win a Samsung 46” LCD TV and a 1000 watt, 5.1 channel 3D/Wi-Fi Blu-Ray home theater system. Two winners will be selected in the United States, one in Europe, and one in the Far East. All commissaries will have entry tear pads and entry boxes. (Sallie Cauthers)