Paying For College: Navy ROTC Scholarships
As the largest single source of Navy and Marine Corps officers, the NROTC Scholarship Program fills a vital need in preparing mature young men and women for leadership and management positions in an increasingly technical Navy and Marine Corps. The following is a list of NROTC scholarship programs:
The NROTC Four-year Scholarship:
- Full tuition at one of the listed college or universities
- All colleges/university educational fees
- Stipend for text books
- Provide all uniforms
- Subsistence allowance each academic month:
- Freshmen receive $250
- Sophomores receive $300
- Juniors receive $350
- Seniors receive $400
The NROTC Two-year Scholarship:
- Covers final two years of college.
- Provides tuition, fees, textbooks, and uniforms for two academic years.
- Subsistence allowance for a maximum of 20 months.
- Open to college students who have completed their sophomore year or third year in a five-year curriculum.
- Deadline date: 15 March of the applicant's sophomore year.
- On graduation commission as ensign, US Naval Reserve or second lieutenant, US Marine Corps Reserve.
- Total military service obligation is eight years, at least four of which must be active duty.
NROTC College Program
- Two- or Four-year programs
- Applicants selected from students already attending or accepted by colleges with NROTC programs
- Pays for uniforms and instructional fees for naval science courses
- College Program students selected for "advanced standing" receive a stipend for maximum of 20 months. Advance standing is only available starting the junior year of college. Stipend per academic month is $350 junior year and $400 senior year.
- Students will complete naval science and other university courses, a few specific university courses, and attend one summer training session
- Normally at sea for Navy officers.
- Normally at Quantico, Virginia for Marine Corps-option midshipmen.
- Four-year applicants apply through professors of naval science upon commencement of freshman year
- Two-year applicants apply before spring of sophomore year.
- When accepted, two-year applicants will attend six-and-a-half week Naval Science Institute program in Newport, RI during summer between sophomore and junior years.
- On graduation, two- and four-year College Program midshipmen may be commissioned ensigns in the Naval Reserve or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps Reserves.
- Obligation of eight years commissioned service, at least three of which must be active duty.
Navy Nurse Corps NROTC Program
- Available to students interested in pursuing Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN).
- If selected for scholarship, selectee must major in a nursing degree program leading to BSN.
- On graduation, Nurse NROTC Scholarship Program midshipmen commissioned as reserve officers in Navy Nurse Corps.
- Nurse NROTC eligibility and selection procedures same as regular four-year NROTC Scholarship Program requirements.
- Academic, physical, and military requirements differ slightly from regular NROTC.
- Nurse NROTC Scholarship Program not for those pursuing any other medical program.
- More information on the Navy Nurse NROTC Scholarship.
More Scholarship Programs
The Tweedale Scholarship:
- Each unit Professor of Naval Science (PNS) is assigned two Tweedale Scholarships each year.
- Program focused on students majoring in specific technical fields
Criteria for selection:
- Student must have completed at least one but no more than four academic terms w/ a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) which places student above peer mean or 3.0, whichever is higher.
- Transcript must reflect grade of "C" or better in all courses attempted.
- Student must have completed one academic term of college level math or science
- Will be required to complete Naval Science Course 101 as soon as possible
- Students interviewed by PNS and must comply w/ standards regarding leadership potential and military/physical fitness.
- Submit a revised degree plan for review by PNS; degree plan must be verified by student's faculty advisor and demonstrate that student will by able to complete all naval science requirements and still graduate on time with his/her assigned class year group
- Majors in:
- Computer Science
- Strong math/science background in high school and "B" or better in calculus, if completed
Historically Black College (HBC) Scholarship Program
There are a limited scholarships available to attend Historically Black Colleges. Applicants must meet the same minimum qualification criteria used for the 4 year national scholarship. To apply for one of these scholarships, contact one of the below listed schools:
- Florida A & M University
- Hampton University
- Morehouse College
- Norfolk State University
- Prairie View A&M University
- Savannah State University
- Southern University and A&M College
Full information concerning the NROTC Scholarship Program is available from any of the colleges and universities with NROTC units or from Navy and Marine Corps recruiters. A list of colleges and universities is available on this website at the Colleges and Universities page.
ROTC Related Topics
- Applying For The NROTC
- NROTC Eligibility
- Academic Requirements
- Military Service Obligations
- NROTC Scholarships
- NROTC Nurse Program
- NROTC Summer Training
- Navy Officer Career Paths