Know What To Bring To Boot Camp
What to Bring
The following lists give you a basic idea of what you should and shouldn’t take to basic training. Your recruiter will modify the list based his or her personal experience and changes at basic training. Recruiters from each branch of the military have provided the following lists of items they say you “HAVE to HAVE” to go to basic military training.
Remember your recruiter will tell you exactly what you need to bring!
The general consensus from all the recruiters is less is better, take only the minimum amount of stuff, everything else will either be issued or can be purchased.
Another note: Airlines can and will restrict what you bring on to the plane. Buying an industrial size bottle of liquid soap will only result in you leaving it at the airport.
According to the Air Force Recruiter, the only things you “HAVE TO HAVE” to go to basic training are: Picture ID (driver’s license if your Air Force job requires one), SSN card or print out from the SSN office, direct deposit form and the clothes on your back. You can ship to basic training without shower shoes (flip flops), but you will have to shower in whatever shoes you brought, so I believe shower shoes should be on your must have list.
The following list contains items that you will need or can have at basic training, remember your recruiter will give you a list of required items.
Toothbrush tray (1)
Shower shoes (1 pair)
Soap tray (if bar soap is used) (1)
Eyeglass strap (if you will be wearing glasses)
You should bring enough civilian clothes to last about 2 days. Bring glasses (if you have them) as opposed to contact lenses. The training environment is not conducive to contact wear.
*DO NOT buy new eyeglasses. You will be issued new ones at basic training.
To complete all of your military records, you will need to bring some items with you to basic training. Better to be safe than sorry so, bring any paperwork you think may be useful during your processing. Certified copies of paperwork works well (keeps originals safe) Below is a list of the minimum documents you should bring if you have them:
- *Driver's license or state issued picture ID
- *Social Security Card
- *Direct Deposit Form
- Certified copy of Marriage license
- Certified copy Dependents' birth records
- JROTC/ROTC certificates (for advanced rank only)
- Civil Air Patrol certificates (for advanced rank only)
- Naturalization papers
- Alien Card
- College transcripts (for advanced rank only)
- High school diploma (only if you joined before graduation)
* Must bring
Items you may not bring:
- Knives, guns, brass knuckles or anything that may be used as a weapon
- Dice, playing cards or anything that may be used to gamble
- Magazines, books, crossword puzzles or any other media that is not of a religious nature
- Cigarettes, dip, lighters or any other tobacco products
- Large photo albums. A few photos are permitted but space is limited
- Material that is pornographic or can be considered questionable
- Any over-the-counter medications to include vitamins and supplements
- Aerosol sprays of any kind (i.e. hairspray, deodorant, starch)
ARMY and NATIONAL GUARD [top]
Here is the list of items the Army recruiter said you "HAVE to HAVE" to ship to basic military training:
- 1 change of clothes
- Direct deposit Form
- Personal Hygiene kit
- Picture ID (i.e. driver’s license)
- 2 combination locks (Actually not required but highly recommended)
The recruiter’s words were, “GO LIGHT!”
Documents to bring:
- Certified copies of your children's birth certificates - if applicable
- Your social security card
- *Banking account information to establish Direct Deposit of military pay
- Marriage certificates - if applicable
- *Driver's License or picture ID
* Must bring
Items to bring:
- Personal hygiene kit*
- Two plain towels (optional)
- Stationary and stamps (optional)
- Sports Bra FEMALES ONLY (optional)
- Regular Bra FEMALES ONLY (optional)
- White calf length socks with no logos or color on them (optional)
- Hair restraints to match hair color. FEMALES ONLY (optional)
- Shower shoes (Plain not fancy) (optional)
- Civilian clothes (no more than 1 set)*
- Personal address book (optional)
- Female hygiene items
Items you may not bring :
- Tobacco items
- Pornographic material
- Products containing alcohol
- Medication not prescribed by military medical personnel
- Magazines or newspapers
- Large bulky items
- Jewelry other than wedding band
COAST GUARD [top]
The Coast Guard Recruiter said you “HAVE to HAVE” to following ship to basic training.
- Federal or State issued picture ID (i.e. Driver’s license)
- Direct Deposit Form from your bank
- The clothes on your Back
He also recommended bringing running shoes if you have shoes requiring a special fit (i.e. wide width). Running shoes will be issued for all others not requiring special fit.
There are three categories of personal items:
- Issue - Items issued to you upon arrival at the training center
- Permitted - Items that can be taken into training.
- Contraband - Items that are strictly forbidden
- White v-neck t-shirts 3
- Dark blue or black long underwear (Oct thru Apr)
- Underpants (white), 6-10 pair
- Wedding bands
- Cartridge type razor only
- Bible and/or 1 religious reference book
- Religious Medallion worn on a chain long enough that it cannot be seen under a v-neck t-shirt
- Address Book
- Stationary, envelopes, stamps
- Hand/body unscented lotion
- Pre-paid phone card
- Talcum powder
- Shaving kit
- 2 wallet-sized family photos
Note: If you do not bring any of these items, they are available for purchase them upon arrival.
Additional Permitted Items for Women only
- Birth control pills (if already using to maintain cycle)
- Cloth covered elastic bands that match hair color
- Gold/silver barrettes/bobby pins or ones that match hair color
- Only 1 set of ball earrings worn in the lowest hole of ear (not larger than a quarter-inch in diameter, can be gold, silver, pearl, or diamond)
- Feminine hygiene items
- Hair dryer
- 1 Half slip (white/skin tone)
- Makeup (minimal amount)
- Pantyhose (skin tone) 1 pair
- Sports bras (white/skin tone) 6
You are authorized to bring one small suitcase or duffle bag with your name clearly on it. The bag will be used to store the clothes you arrive in until after graduation. It is advised to arrive in comfortable weather appropriate clothes and sneaker-type shoes.
The following item are considered contraband and will be disposed of upon arrival. Possession of some of these items will result in immediate removal from training.
- Tobacco Products and associated items
- Consumables (any food or beverage)
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Narcotics and drug Paraphernalia
- Any glass containers (plastic containers are permitted)
- All pornographic photos or materials
These items will be issued to you, and the amount of purchase will be deducted from your pay.
Note: Insect repellent and sunscreen are issued May – Sep.
The Navy Recruiter said you “HAVE to HAVE” the following to ship to basic training:
- Picture ID or Drivers License
- Birth Certificate
- Civilian Clothes (1 days worth)
- Direct deposit Form
Additional items you may bring to basic training :
Because storage space is extremely limited at Recruit Training Command, recruits should limit the amount of personal effects brought with them. Luggage must be kept to a maximum of one small gym/travel bag. In addition to the clothing worn on the trip, recruits may also bring:
- One pair of prescription glasses, reading glasses or contact lens kit (if you have them)
- Money (maximum of $25) (optional)
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Copies of dependent's birth certificates (e.g., children, spouse, etc.)
- Divorce decree of both husband and wife (if applicable)
- Small Bible or other religious book
- Current record of inoculations (shots)
- Check book and ATM card
- Sanitary items as required (females)
- Prescription birth control (will be taken and reissued)
- Social Security Card
- Personal hygiene Kit
- Small address book
One set of clothing and a lightweight jacket will be maintained in a sealed bag until the recruit completes training.
The above items will only be retained if adequate locker space is available.
Disposition of Personal Effects - During in-processing, each recruit will send their civilian clothing and personal effects home, or donate these items to charity.
Do not bring : the following items will taken shipped home at your expense.
- radios/tape players/CD players
- electric razors
- hair dryers (oversized or bulky)
- curling irons
- other electrical items deemed unnecessary
A Note About Prescription Drugs - Recruits may bring prescription drugs with identifying prescription labels. At a designated time, they must be sent to the dispensary for medical evaluation. Recruits on birth control pills and/or contraceptives will retain their prescription and will be seen during GYN screening.
Don't Bring: The following is a list of items that are not authorized at Recruit Training Command and/or cannot be shipped via U.S. Mail. The following items will be confiscated and donated to a charitable organization:
- Large cans of shaving cream (11 ounces or larger)
- Food items
- Pump toothpaste
- Scented lotions or powders
- All aerosol containers
- After-shave, cologne
- Hair-care products containing grease
- Shampoo, conditioners, scalp treatments (larger than eight ounces or containing grease)
- Lighter fluid
- Non-Navy books and magazines
- Cards, dice, gambling paraphernalia
- Large and bulky stationery
- Q-tips, handi-wipes, body powder
- Large plastic picks, rakes, etc., or any made of metal
- Anything in glass containers including mirrors
- Double-edge razor blades
- Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, tobacco, chewing tobacco
- Large deodorants (larger than three ounces)
- Non-prescription drugs and medications (over-the counter items)
Do Not Bring: The following items will be confiscated and turned over to Security for disposition:
- Firearms, ammunition
- Clubs, batons
- Brass knuckles
- All straight razors; large knives are confiscated; knives with blades less than 3 inches in length, ice picks and scissors will be sent home
- Narcotic drugs and any paraphernalia for drug usage like roach clips, hash pipes, hypodermic needles
- Sex-related materials
Marine Corp [top]
Marine Corps recruiters are very straightforward, here is what they say you HAVE to HAVE:
- Driver’s license or Picture ID
- $20 (approximately)
- The clothes on your back
The recruiter said everything else is taken care of prior to shipping to basic training.