Coast Guard Tuition Assitance assists eligible personnel in their professional development by providing funding for off-duty voluntary education courses to broaden their academic or Coast Guard technical background.
For FY2014 the Coast Guard revised the eligiblity and payment rates for the tuition assistance program. (See ALCOAST 502/13 Below for details)
The maximum amount paid for tuition assistance: 75% Tuition
Not to exceed:
The management of TA is centralized at the USCG Institute through a consolidated tuition assistance processing system managed by the U.S. Naval Education and Training Professional Development and Technology Center (NETPDTC) in Pensacola, Florida.
The Coast Guard Institute approves the TA Application (CG-4147) , inputs data into the Navy's computer database, and issues the TA Authorization form (CGI-1560).
The applicant then takes the CGI-1560 to the academic institution during registration; the institution bills the Navy (NETPDTC) for payment of the government's share of tuition assistance.
TA does not cover the following expenses:
The Coast guard has updated the eligibility requirements and limits for tuition assistance in the following ALCOAST message:
A. COMCOGARD FORCECOM NORFOLK VA 191855Z APR 13 / ALCOAST 175/13
1. This ALCOAST announces the FY14 TA program consistent with funding available in the FY14 budget. To continue to offer the benefit to as many eligible members as possible, the Coast Guard is implementing cost sharing for Tuition Assistance funding.
2. Effective immediately, the Coast Guard will fund 75 percent of the tuition cost of members not to exceed 187.50 per credit hour, for active duty military members eligible for Tuition Assistance. TA is only available for courses leading to associate and bachelor degrees.
3. All additional eligibility constraints listed below implemented in Ref (A) still apply. COs, OICs or first O-6/GS-15 in the chain-of-command are expected to ensure members meet the followingeligibility criteria:
A. Member must be on Active Duty or a Reservist on long-term orders greater than 180 days.
B. Members are limited to six credit hours per fiscal quarter. Credit hours are counted from course start dates
C. Members must meet the additional following criteria:
(1) Satisfactory progress toward completion of unit qualifications.
(2) Satisfactory progress toward watch station qualifications.
(3) Satisfactory proficiency of craft, and
(4) Satisfactory conduct during the six months prior. D. TA approval authority shall not be delegated below Executive Officer, Executive Petty Officer, or Deputy level.
4. The new annual cap for the Coast Guards share of TA is 2250 (75 percent of 3000).
5. TA is available to members seeking their first degree. TA is no longer authorized to members pursuing an additional degree at the same or lower level regardless of how they received their first degree (i.e. if the applicant already has a bachelors degree, TA shall not be authorized for an associates or bachelors degree even if the degree was obtained at a service academy, through the CG advanced education program, via grants or loans, VA benefits, or paid for out of the members own pocket).
6. Members are strongly advised to seek full time ESO guidance for deciding which college or university maximizes military training, credits-by-exam, and provides the best value for the members share of tuition dollars. Full time ESOs can also help identify other sources of funding if desired. A list of full time ESOs by unit is found at: http://www.uscg.mil/hr/cgi/eso/essentials/full-time(underscore)eso(un derscore)list.asp
7. For field level questions please refer to your local ESO. Questions from unit ESOs should be directed to CWO4 Tex Collier (Coast Guard Institute) at (405) 954-7233, email Devale.J.Collier(at)uscg.mil. Commanding Officers and Officers-in-Charge may direct questions to the Voluntary Education Program Manager, Mr. David Padley (FORCECOM Training Division) at (202)475-5475, email David.M.Padley(at)uscg.mil.
8. RDML S. A. Buschman, Commander, Force Readiness Command, sends.
9. Internet release authorized.
|Coast Guard Tuition Assistance|
Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion...