The Department of Veterans' Affairs SGLI Disability Extension allows servicemembers who are totally disabled at time of discharge to retain the Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) coverage they had in service at no cost for up to two years.
The SGLI Disability Extension is available to you if you are totally disabled at time of discharge. To be considered totally disabled, you must have a disability that prevents you from being gainfully employed OR have one of the following conditions, regardless of your employment status:
- Permanent loss of use of both hands
- Permanent loss of use of both feet
- Permanent loss of use of both eyes
- Permanent loss of use of one hand and one foot
- Permanent loss of use of one foot and one eye
- Permanent loss of use of one hand and one eye
- Total loss of hearing in both ears
- Organic loss of speech (lost ability to express oneself, both by voice and whisper, through normal organs for speech - being able to speak with an artificial appliance is disregarded in determination of total disability)
Follow this link to download the VA Form SGLV-8715, which is the application for SGLI Disability Extension.