Wyoming State Veteran's Benefits

The state of Wyoming provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

Wyoming Veteran Housing Programs

Veterans' Home of Wyoming
This home is located on the historic site of Fort McKinney. It was built in the summer and fall of 1878. The home was established in 1895 with the first member being housed at Fort D. A. Russell (now F.E. Warren AFB) in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The home and its resident were transferred from Cheyenne to the home's present location in 1903. It is located three miles west of Buffalo, one-half mile south of Highway 16, at the base of the majestic Big Horn Mountains. Clear Creek from the Big Horns runs through the center of the area surrounding the home and supplies the fresh water for the resident trout pond.


  • Honorably discharged Veteran and resident of Wyoming
  • Cannot be gainfully employed
  • Allowed to have some qualified non-Veterans
    • Must be related to a Veteran that would be eligible
    • Non-Veteran admitted when there is a 10% vacancy

For more information, please visit the Veteran's Home of Wyoming website or call (307) 684-5511.

For more information contact the Wyoming Veterans Commission:

Wyoming Veterans Commission
5410 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009
(307) 777-8152
(307) 777-8150 fax

Back to top

Wyoming Financial Assistance Programs

Wyoming Veterans Tax Exemption
The exemption applies to taxes on a Veteran's primary residence lowering the assessed value by $3,000. The $800 cap was removed in 2007. Veterans who reached the previous cap should reapply. Veterans should check with their County Assessor each year prior to the deadline as the reapplication process may vary.

Veterans must be residents of Wyoming three or more years prior to claiming the tax exemption and must have a DD 214 or equivalent from their branch of service. Additionally, one of the following must apply:

  • Served in the Armed Forces during one of the following periods:
    World War II December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
    Korean War June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
    Vietnam War February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975
  • Must have served overseas during an armed conflict and received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or equivalent.
  • Be a disabled Veteran with a compensable service connected disability as certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or a branch of the Armed Forces of the United States. VA or DOD agency disability letter required.
  • Be the surviving spouse of a qualifying Veteran who resides in Wyoming and does not remarry.

Family Support Grant Program
Wyoming Guard, Reserves and Active personnel have available a newly created trust fund administered by the Adjutant General from which "grantor of last resort" funds are available for service members and their family members in need of assistance.

Back to top

Wyoming Veteran Employment Programs

Wyoming Department of Workforce Services
The Department of Workforce Services (DWS) is Wyoming's newest state agency, dedicated to developing a demand-driven workforce that is responsive to Wyoming's businesses, citizens, and economy. Veterans Services ensure assistance is provided or targeted to veterans, including services for veterans who are disabled or have employment issues. A variety of employment and training services are available through DWS and can be easily accessed at: www.wyomingworkforce.org

Employment Assistance

The Wyoming Military Department also has a program to help traditional Guard members and their family members find civilian employment opportunities within their communities. The Wyoming National Guard Jobs Coordinator can assist with resume writing, job interview skills and other tips. Contact the coordinator at (307) 772-5942.

Wyoming Education Assistance Programs

Free tuition and fees for education of War Orphans and Veterans

10 semesters of free tuition and fees at UW or Community Colleges for those who meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Resident of Wyoming for at least 1 year before application
  • Discharge other than dishonorable
  • Vietnam Veteran from August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975
  • Overseas combat Veteran who received an Expeditionary Medal or equivalent
  • Surviving Spouse or dependent of an eligible Veteran who died in active service  (Dependent must be 22 years of age or less at time of application)

To apply bring your DD-214 to the educational institution's financial aid office - Wyoming Veteran's Education Consultant - Phil O'Connor (307) 772-5053

Wyoming National Guard 100% State Educational Assistance Plan
The 100% State Educational Assistance Plan is for Wyoming National Guard members that want to pursue higher education. The plan pays 100% of the tuition and mandatory fees at Wyoming Junior colleges and at the University of Wyoming. The plan pays a determined amount each year for those private schools in Wyoming that are VA approved.

Guard members can use the state educational assistance to complete one degree or certificate program. This includes: Certificates, Associate, Bachelors, Masters, or PhD program. The combination of Certificate, Associate to Bachelor counts as one degree.

Members can use the GI Bill and kicker if qualified with the 100% State
Educational Assistance Plan.

Education Benefits For National Guard Family Members: Matriculation fees and tuition paid in the University of Wyoming or any junior college or vocational training institution in Wyoming for child or spouse of Wyoming National Guard member who dies or sustains permanent total disability from duty as guardsman while on state active duty or any authorized training duty.

Operation Recognition (High School Diploma)
Any Veteran of WWII, Korea, or Vietnam who was not able to complete their high school education prior to entering the service may be eligible to receive their diplomas.  Diplomas can also be awarded posthumously. 
Call 1-800-833-5987 or (307) 265-7372 for application.

For more information contact the Wyoming Veterans Commision:

Wyoming Veterans Commission
5410 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009
(307) 777-8152
(307) 777-8150 fax

Other Wyoming State Veteran Benefits

Oregon Trail State Veterans' Cemetery
The Oregon Trail State Veterans' Cemetery has been established through the cooperative efforts of the Veterans' Commission acting for the State of Wyoming and the National Cemetery Administration of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs, successor to the Veterans Administration. The Wyoming Military Department supervises and controls the state veterans' cemetery.

Every veteran that received any discharge, other than dishonorable, from the Armed Forces of the United States is eligible for burial in the cemetery. The spouse, handicapped or minor child of an eligible veteran may also qualify for burial in the State Veterans' Cemetery, providing that the interment of the qualifying family member is in the same burial plot as that provided for the veteran.

Apply through the local funeral home or call (307) 236-6673

Payment for Burial Details
Payment of $50 for services.  All VSO funeral details that have pre-registered with the WVC are eligible.

The Board of County Commissioners will provide for the preparation of and transmittal to and burial in the Veteran's cemetery of any other than a dishonorably discharged Veteran who dies leaving insufficient funds for funeral expenses.  The amount expended is not to exceed $500.00.

Call 1-800-833-5987 or (307) 265-7372 for more information and application.

Back to top

Burial of Indigent Veterans
Counties are obliged to provide up to $500 for the burial of indigent veterans upon proof that the deceased veteran received a discharge other than dishonorable for service on behalf of the United States in World War II, or any preceding war, or the Korean or Vietnam wars. The indigent veteran must have died in the county paying the expenses and proof must be shown that he/she left insufficient means to defray the expense.

Veterans' Guardianships
The Uniform Veterans' Guardianship Act has been adopted in Wyoming and governs the handling of guardianship estates of wards that are beneficiaries under the laws administered by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA is a party in interest in any proceeding brought under this Act. Guardians can have no more than five wards, and regular accountings must be made.

Free (Confidential) Recording of Honorable Discharges
Wyoming law grants all veterans who receive an honorable discharge from the military services of the United States the right of having his/her discharge papers, usually the DD 214 or the Honorable Discharge certificate bearing the DD 214 information on its reverse side, recorded free in the office of the county clerk if the documents have not been recorded previously in another county of the state. The County Clerk keeps this document confidential.

Special Veterans License Plates
The vehicle must be titled in the name of the Veteran or may have joint ownership with a member of the immediate family. Apply directly to the County Treasurer at least 60 days before registration of the vehicle expires. All special license plates are issued once in an eight year period and must be renewed annually at the County Treasurer's Office. All applicants for special license plates must be Wyoming residents and meet the eligibility criteria as prescribed by Wyoming statute. Application, registration, and plate costs can be obtained from the local County Treasurer's Office.

  • Prisoner of War (POW) License Plate - first plate is FREE, additional plates may be purchased
  • Purple Heart Recipient (PH) License Plate - must be purchased
  • Disabled Veteran (DV) License Plate - One FREE set of plates for Veterans at least 50% VA disabled, no additional plates may be purchased
  • Pearl Harbor Survivor (PHS) License Plate - must be purchased
  • National Guard (NG) License Plate - must be purchased

Wyoming Veteran License Plate Stickers - License plate stickers that represent various periods of service are available for purchase from the Wyoming Veterans Commission. Stickers cost $11.50 for auto and trucks and $11.00 for motorcycles. Only one set may be displayed on any one vehicle, no trailers. Stickers previously purchased by the Veteran may also be purchased by surviving spouses. Proceeds go to the Wyoming Veterans Commission Trust Fund. For more information and to request applications, call (800) 833-5987.

Wyoming Veteran License Plate Stickers Available application.

Back to top

Free Veterans Game and Fish Licenses
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department offers a number of hunting and fishing licenses to qualified Veterans. Applicants must provide a letter from the VBA Regional Office certifying eligibility. Call (800) 842-1934 for application information or visit one of the Department Regional Offices located in Casper, Cody, Green River, Jackson, Lander, Laramie, Pinedale or Sheridan.

    Free Fishing License 50% Disabled Veteran, resident of Wyoming for not less than one year and submit a letter from the VBA Regional Office certifying the 50% level of service connected disability of the applicant.

    Free Bird, Small Game, and Fishing Licenses 100% Disabled Veteran, resident of Wyoming for not less than one year and submit a letter from the VBA Regional Office certifying the 100% level of service connected disability of the applicant.

    Free Hunting and Fishing Licenses While on Leave Any Wyoming resident who is on active duty in the U.S. Military deployed to a combat zone, who is home on leave.

    Special Limited Fishing Permit for Hospitalized Veterans In coordination with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, a free license can be issued by any VA Hospital within Wyoming, Wyoming Department of Health or Wyoming Department of Family Services. Veteran must fish under the direct control of the institution.

    Pioneer Veteran Bird, Small Game, and Fishing License For any Wyoming Veteran who is 65 or older and has lived in Wyoming for 30 or more continuous years.

    Free State Parks Pass Wyoming State Parks & Cultural Resources offers a 50% Disabled Veteran Annual Day Use and Camping Lifetime Permit. You must be a resident of Wyoming for not less than one year and submit a letter from the VBA Regional Office certifying the 50% level of service connected disability of the applicant. For more information, call 307-777-6303.

County Veteran Service Officer(s)
A new program that is in its early stages is the County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO) program. These are dedicated and trained volunteers that can help a veteran start the process of accessing State and Federal benefits. At the present time, Wyoming has only two southwestern counties participating in the CVSO program, but in surrounding states, there are literally hundreds of CVSOs that help their state veterans access benefits.

Wyoming's Veterans' Memorial Museum
Wyoming's Veterans' Memorial Museum was dedicated Memorial Day 2002 thereby making it the first state veterans' memorial honoring all veterans of all services of all wars. It accepts and displays donated war related memorabilia and artifacts, and it collects recordings and printed copy of veterans' experiences for history research scholars as well as books and other publications.

Wyoming Veterans' Commission
The Commission is an agency created by state law in 1975 that is part of the Wyoming Military Department headed by the Adjutant General. It keeps informed on issues affecting Wyoming veterans and makes appropriate recommendations to the Governor and legislature. By statute, the Commission's duties include:

  • Study all federal and state legislation affection veterans, their spouses, dependents and beneficiaries;
  • Establish liaison with agencies dealing with veteran's affairs;
  • Make recommendations to the legislature and to the governor concerning veterans; and
  • Adopt policies and procedures necessary to administer then veterans' burial team account pursuant to W.S. 19-14-109.

For more information contact the Wyoming Veterans Commission:

Wyoming Veterans Commission
5410 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009
(307) 777-8152
(307) 777-8150 fax

© 2015 Military Advantage