Oregon State Veteran's Benefits

The state of Oregon provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.

Oregon Veteran Housing Programs

Oregon Veterans Home Loans
A home loan program for honorably discharged veterans with below market interest rates. The eligibility for the program expires 30 years after discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces. ODVA also offers home improvement loans. Toll free information number 1-800-828-8801. 

Learn more about Oregon Veterans Home Loans

Oregon Veterans Home
Known as "The place where honor lives." the Oregon Veterans' Home is a skilled nursing care facility for Oregon veterans, their spouses or surviving spouses, and parents all of whose children died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Toll free information number 1-800-846-8460.

Learn more about the Oregon Veterans Home

Oregon Property Tax Exemption
If you are a disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a war veteran, you may be entitled to exempt $15,450 or $18,540 of your homestead property's assessed value from property taxes.

The exemption amount increases by 3 percent each year. The exemption is first applied to your home and then to your taxable personal property. If you are an Oregon resident and a qualifying veteran or that veteran's surviving spouse and live in your home, you may file a claim and receive the exemption.

Learn more about the Oregon Property Tax Exemption

Back to top

Oregon Financial Assistance Programs

Oregon Conservatorship Program
Financial management program for certain veterans their dependents and survivors. Managing the financial affairs of these protected persons helps meet their current and future needs. 

Visit the Oregon Dept. of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Oregon Veterans' Emergency Financial Assistance Program (OVEFAP)
When  funds are available, this financial assistance program is available for veterans and their immediate family (spouse, unremarried surviving spouse, child or step child) who are in need of emergency financial assistance. 

Assistance needs includes, but are not limited to:

  • Emergency or temporary housing and related housing expenses, such as expenses for utilities, insurance, house repairs, rent assistance or food;
  • Emergency medical or dental expenses;
  • Emergency transportation;
  • Expenses related to starting a business, such as business licenses or occupational licenses;
  • Temporary income after military discharge; and
  • Legal assistance.

NOTE: This program is funded quaterly and often runs out of funds, be sure to contact the ODVA for assistance and to find out if funds are currently available

Visit the Oregon Dept. of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Oregon Veteran Employment Programs

Oregon Veterans' Employment Preference
Veterans preference in public employment. Additional preference for disabled veterans. Preference points are awarded to eligible veterans seeking employment with all state agencies, and are awarded as follows:

  • A five (5) point preference for eligible veterans.
    • Application is made within 15 years of discharge or release from
      service in the Armed Forces 
  • A ten (10) point preference for service-connected disabled Veterans.
    • Application is made throughout the lifetime of the disabled veteran.

Learn more about the Oregon Veterans' Employment Preference

Oregon Veterans' Reemployment Rights
Oregon Veterans' are entitled to their old job, seniority, and pay with accrued status upon release of service. Enforced by the United States Department of Labor, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). USERRA protects all members of the uniformed services from discrimination in employment regardless of whether their uniformed service was in the past, present or future. 

Learn more about Oregon Veterans' Reemployment Rights

Back to top

Oregon Education Assistance Programs

Oregon Educational Aid

The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs provides educational benefits for pursuit of approved training courses.

Benefits will be paid for as many months as the veteran spent in active service, up to a maximum of 36 months. Veterans' who qualify for the program are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.   Benefits are paid for classroom instruction, home study courses, and for vocational training from an accredited educational institution.
Note: ODVAs Educational Aid will not be paid if the veteran is currently receiving federal educational benefits under any federal act.

Payment Amounts
  • Full-time students are entitled to receive up to $150 per month.
  • Part-time students are entitled to receive up to $100 per month.
  • School criteria determines full-time and part-time status.
Eligibility Requirements

1. Active duty in the Armed Forces of the U.S. for not less than 90 days; and
2. Released from military service under honorable conditions; and
3. Is a resident of Oregon when applying for State Educational Aid; and
4. Is a citizen of the United States; and
5. Served during the Korean War (June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955) or after June 30, 1958.

Visit the Oregon Dept. of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

Benefit for Dependents of Deceased, Disabled Oregon Veterans

Oregon's State Legislature passed a law that provides a full-tuition waiver for a bachelor's or master's degree at an Oregon University System institution for children or spouses of servicemembers who died on active duty, became 100 percent disabled in connection with military service, or died as a result of a disability sustained on active duty.
Information on the tuition waiver as well as the application form can be found Oregon University System website under "Featured Documents and Links."

Visit the Oregon Dept. of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

High School Diploma
A school district may issue diplomas under ORS 332.114  to veterans who did not graduate from a high school because they were serving in the Armed Forces.

Back to top

Other Oregon State Veteran Benefits

Oregon Hunting and Fishing Licenses
A free lifetime Oregon hunting and angling license to service-connected disabled veterans rated 25% or more. Disabled veterans are also eligible for an Oregon Elk tag at a reduced cost. Active members of the armed forces or veterans who retired from the Armed Forces within 12 months of the date of application, may apply to the Oregon Military Department for reimbursement for the cost of a resident annual hunting and angling license.

Oregon State Park Use Permits
Service-connected disabled Veterans and active duty military personnel on leave have free day-use parking and free overnight rental of RV and tent campsites for up to five consecutive days and no more than 10 days total in a calendar month.

Oregon Veteran License Plates
Veterans may purchase a license plate set displaying the word VETERAN for a $10 surcharge in addition to normal fees from a local Oregon Division of Motor Vehicles office. The $10 surcharge goes to the support of the Oregon Veterans' Home. Proof of honorable military service is required. Former POWs, members of the active Oregon National Guard and certain veteran service organization names are available on license plates.
Service-connected disabled veterans qualify for a one time registration fee for motor vehicle registration. These plates do not allow parking in designated disabled parking spaces.

Oregon Public Records
Certified copies of Oregon marriage, death, divorce, and birth records for VA claims purposes are provided free of charge. Also note that county clerks will record veterans' discharge papers (DD Form 214) and provide copies of recorded documents free of charge.

Visit the Oregon Dept. of Veterans Affairs website for contact information and benefits assistance.

© 2015 Military Advantage