Oklahoma State Veteran's Benefits
State Veterans Center
The following are state nursing homes located in Oklahoma:
- Ardmore--175 nursing care beds
- Claremore--302 nursing care beds
- Clinton--148 nursing care beds--8 domiciliary beds
- Lawton--200 nursing care beds
- Norman--301 nursing care beds
- Sulphur--122 nursing care beds
- Talihina--175 nursing care beds
Property Tax Exemption
Tax Exemption for 100% Disabled Veterans for sales tax, excise tax, and ad valorem tax (Spouse included for ad valorem tax only)
Oklahoma Income Tax
The first $1,500.00 received, as salary for service in the United States Armed Forces shall be deducted from taxable income.
Exemption For Retirement Benefits
Retirement benefits, for taxable years after December 31, 2005, received by an individual from any component of the Armed Forces of the U.S. shall be exempt from taxable income in an amount not to exceed the greater of 75% of such benefits OR $10,000.
Sales Tax Exemption
Veterans who are rated 100% permanently and totally disabled by the VA are exempt from state sales tax.
In establishing employment lists of eligible persons for competitive and noncompetitive appointment, certain preferences shall be allowed for veterans honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States.
1. Five points shall be added to the final grade of any person who has passed the examination and has submitted proof of having status as a veteran or unremarried surviving spouse of a veteran.
2. Ten points shall be added to the final grade of any war veteran of the Oklahoma Statutes who has passed the examination and has submitted proof of having a service-connected disability as certified by the Veterans Administration or Agency of the Defense Department within six months of date of application.
3. In addition to the 10 points preference such eligible war veterans who are in receipt of benefits payable at the rate of 30% or more because of the service-connected disability, shall be considered Absolute Preference Veterans. Their names shall be placed at the top of the register, ranked in order of their examination scores. Absolute Preference Veterans shall not be denied employment and passed over for others without showing cause.
Free Hunting and Fishing Permit
Highly discounted lifetime hunting and fishing permit for legal residents with 60% or more disability.
There are several special license plates available for veterans in specific categories.
Visit the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information on any of these programs.