Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents
In addition to the pensions and benefits to which you may be entitled because of both public and private employment, you may also be eligible for certain benefits based on your military service.
The following is a summary of veteran's benefits and what you need to know about them.
Major Veteran Benefit Programs
The VA operates a number of programs providing financial, medical and other assistance to veterans. For Americans who received an honorable or general discharge, there are 4 major benefit programs:
- Disability compensation
- Veteran's pension programs
- Free or low-cost medical care through VA hospitals and medical facilities
- Education programs
There are also benefit programs concerning:
- Housing and Home Loan Guarantees
- Job Training
- Small Businesses and business loans (Through Small Business Administration)
- Burials and Memorials
- PTSD Support (National Center for PTSD Website)
How To Apply For Benefits
The best and fastest way to get your VA benefits is through the VA's VETS.GOV website. There you can apply for most benefits, or be directed to the proper location for application.