Related Benefits Articles

Most Popular Records & Forms Articles

  • A dependent ID is laminated at MacDill Air Force Base. (Photo: U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Ned T. Johnson.)
    Military Dependent ID Cards
    The Military ID card is an essential part of accessing your benefits, without it you may not be able to get on base, go to the ...
  • Soldier uses a computer in college.
    Requesting Military Personnel Records
    Have you lost your military service records, medical records, personnel records, or records of awards and medals earned? Are yo...
  • online form registration
    Military Forms
    Accessing military and veteran benefits requires filling out the correct military forms. The following index of official mili...
  • The House of Representatives has passed new Stolen Valor Act legislation. The previous law was shot down by the U.S. Supreme Court.
    Military Awards, Medals, & Decorations
    Have you lost military service medals, decorations, or awards that you or a family member earned and need to replace them? Find...
  • medals red box 428x285
    Rebuilding Service Records
    Are you a veteran who does not have copies of your military records? If you learn that your records have been lost there is...

Legislative Center

Border Jobs for Veterans Act

H.R. 2835

Military Records Overview

Honorable Discharge Certificate With Dogtags
Honorable Discharge Certificate With Dogtags

Are you a Veteran and wondering how to replace your lost military records? Do you disagree with your records and wish to see them changed? Perhaps you are doing historical research, and wondering how to obtain the military records of a Veteran. Or perhaps for business or legal reasons, you would like to know more about a Veteran.

Copies of most military and medical records on file can be made available upon request. Information or copies of documents may be released from Official Military Personnel Files within the provisions of the law. The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act provide balance between the right of the public to obtain information from military service records, and the right of the former military service member to protect his/her privacy. Please review these items for additional information. In all cases, you must sufficiently identify the person whose record is requested, so that the records can be located with reasonable effort..

Access to Military Records

Veterans and next-of-kin of deceased veterans have the same rights to full access to the record. Next-of-kin are the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran.

Authorized third party requesters, e.g., lawyers, doctors, historians, etc., may submit requests for information from individual records with the veteran's (or next of kin's) signed and dated authorization. All authorizations should specify exactly what the veteran (or next-of-kin) is allowing to be released to a third party. Authorizations are valid one year from date of signature.

Read more about the following topics:

Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion...

© 2016 Military Advantage