Most Popular Military Pay Articles

  • Military Pay Charts
    2017 Military Pay Charts
    Check out the 2017 US military pay scale charts for all ranks for active duty, as well as Reserve and Guard components.
  • There are many financial considerations when planning for retirement
    Military Retired Pay Overview
    The military retirement system is arguably the best one around, but proper planning is needed to ensure you can retire comfortably
  • Vietnam veterans Robert Rivers and Daniel Brown
    COLA for Retired Pay
    Each year military retirees receive a Cost of Living Adjustment to their retirement pay. The increase is based on inflation rates.
  • Marine retirement
    The Military Retirement System
    The following is a summary of what you need to know regarding Military Retirement pay benefits.
  • USCG house in Alameda
    2017 Basic Allowance for Housing Rates
    Each year the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is updated to meet current housing costs in military housing areas (MHAs).

Stop Loss Special Pay

The Defense Department plans to provide retroactive stop loss special pay to active, reserve and former service members who had their enlistment extended or retirement suspended due to stop loss are eligible for this special pay, if they served on active duty between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2009.

Servicemembers may begin submitting their claim for retroactive stop loss special pay on Oct. 21, 2009.  In accordance with the 2009 Supplemental Appropriations Act, all applications must be submitted to the respective services no later than Oct. 21, 2010.  Eligible personnel will receive a payment of $500 per month for each month (or any portion of a month) that a member was retained on active duty due to stop loss.  Applicants for retroactive pay who are no longer in the military had to be honorably discharged, and for those who were stop lossed in fiscal 2009, may only receive payment from one stop loss authority ? either the money appropriated for stop loss special pay in the Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009, or the money allocated for retroactive stop loss special pay in the 2009 Supplemental Appropriations Act, but not both.

Service members must provide documented proof they were stop lossed with their claim.  Family members of deceased service members should contact the appropriate military service for assistance in filing their claim.

Information on how to contact each of the services is listed below:

Stop loss provides a valuable and critical tool to quickly retain and generate forces to surge in a major conflict.  However, as deployment schedules stabilize, the department must then adapt and minimize its use of stop loss.  The secretary of defense announced in March a comprehensive plan to eliminate the current use of stop loss, while retaining the authority for future use under extraordinary circumstances.

Army Stop Loss Special Pay
Soldiers, veterans and survivors of those whose service was involuntarily extended under Stop Loss between September 11, 2001 and September 30, 2008 can apply to receive $500 for every month, or portion of a month, they served under Stop Loss. The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act established and largely funded the payment for all military services, but dictated that each service process and pay their own applicants. The Army estimates that 136,000 of the approximately 174,000 eligible servicemembers served in the Army.

The Army has created an application process for active-and-reserve component Soldiers, veterans, and survivors of Soldiers to process claims for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay. By law, the Army can only accept claims between October 21, 2009 and October 21, 2010. Eligible candidates must submit their request within this timeframe, or the Army will not be able to process their request. The Army has set up an email address to field questions people have regarding the benefit.

Applying for Stop Loss Payments
Candidates for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay must submit a claim at Retroactive Stop Loss website . This Web site is the preferred method for submitting applications; however, other means for doing so, such as by mail or fax, will be available to those without access to computers. Additional communications will provide instructions for alternative forms of submission. During the application process, candidates will be asked to show documentation that indicates the time they served under Stop Loss. The necessary documentation, depending on their type of service, includes the following:

  • Enlisted Soldiers need to present their DD Form 214 and DD Form 4 Enlistment/Reenlistment/Extension contract(s).
  • Enlisted Soldiers who were in an indefinite status need a memorandum showing retirement/separation request was denied or an approved retirement/ separation was amended.
  • Officers need a DD Form 214 and memorandum showing Retirement/ Separation request was denied or an approved retirement/separation was amended.
  • National Guard Soldiers need to show DA Form 4187 for Stop Loss adjustment of ETS, separation documentation NGB Form 22, and/or NGB Form 1966.

The Army will not accept applications submitted after December 3, 2010.

Air Force Stop Loss Special Pay
Approximately 39,000 current and former Airmen who were involuntarily held on active duty beyond an approved separation or retirement date as a result of stop loss between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009, may be eligible for a Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay compensation of $500 for each whole or partial month they were affected.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriation Act set aside $534.4 million for the Retroactive Stop-Loss Special Pay compensation authority. The Air Force used stop loss for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2001 and 2002 and Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. The Stop Loss Program may have affected approximately 39,000 Airmen.

Airmen have until December 3, 2010, to file their claim.

Marine Corps Stop Loss Special Pay
The Marine Corps has not used stop loss since 2003. The Marine Corps judiciously used stop loss between January 7, 2002 and September 30, 2003, in support of the current contingencies as a short-term policy to retain the minimum number of active and reserve component Marines justified by the circumstances.

The War Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2009, authorizes retroactive stop loss special pay of $500 per month for each month or any portion of a month during the period specified that the service member was retained on active duty as a result of the application of stop loss authority. The act applies to service members who were stop lossed during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and ending on September 30, 2009. The act requires the services to begin implementing the authority NLT October 21, 2009. Eligible personnel may submit claims beginning October 21, 2009 through December 3, 2010.

Stop Loss Resources:

Military News App by

Download the new News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

Featured VA Loan Articles