Related Benefits Articles

  • stack of one dollar bills
    Dislocation Allowance in a PCS
    The purpose of Dislocation Allowance is to partially reimburse a servicemember for the expenses related to a PCS move.
  • stack of one dollar bills
    Military Advance Pay
    The purpose of advance pay is to give funds to a member to meet extraordinary expenses incident to Permanent Change of Station ...
  • Family
    Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance
    The Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance (FSSA) program provides qualified sailors a supplemental allowance of up to $1,10...
  • Reserve Income Replacement Program
    The Defense Department this month kicked off a program to help prevent activated Reservists and National Guardsmen from facing ...
  • airplane landing
    Military Authorized Leave
    With a few exceptions, a member who is authorized to be absent for a period that is longer than the leave authorized is not ent...

Most Popular Military Pay Articles

Military Pay Charts

Dislocation Allowance

A stack of dollar bills and quarters.

The purpose of Dislocation Allowance (DLA) is to partially reimburse a servicemember, with or without dependents, for the expenses incurred in relocating the member's household on a PCS, housing moves ordered for the Government's convenience, or incident to an evacuation. This allowance is in addition to all other allowances and may be paid in advance. The amount varies by rank and family status. Normally you can receive DLA only one time per fiscal year.

It is important to keep in mind that DLA is intended to partially reimburse relocation expenses not otherwise reimbursed and probably will not reimburse all of your relocation expenses. A member who has no dependents and who is assigned to government quarters (including a ship) at the new PCS location is not entitled to any DLA.

National Guard and Reserve servicemembers coming on or leaving active duty are not eligible for DLA. The exception to this if you come on active duty for more than 20 weeks at one location and are authorized PCS allowances (not TDY allowances) and you move your dependents from your home to your new PDS or a designated place. You are also not authorized DLA on your separation or retirement from active duty service.

Dislocation allowances change every year, the current rate information can be found on the DoD Per Diem, Travel and Transportation Allowance Committee website. You can also find a list of  Dislocation Allowance FAQ's there.

© 2016 Military Advantage