Ford's B-24 Liberator Bomber Factory

The Willow Run Bomber Plant was completed in 1941, and it was the largest factory in the world under a single roof. Built by the Ford Motor Company, it was used to build B-24 Liberator Bombers during WWII. At the peak of its production, the plant produced the bomber planes at the rate of one every hour. It employed over 40,000 workers, including many women, collectively nicknamed "Rosie the Riveter." The facility now faces demolition, but there is an effort to preserve a small part of it as the new home for the Yankee Air Museum.

Related Topics

World War II