If you see a job posting online and it sounds perfect for you, it's wise to submit not only your resume, but also a customized cover letter. But transitioning servicemembers often struggle with constructing an effective cover letter.
It's important to remember that the cover letter, like the resume, is a marketing tool. Use it to show how you can help the company in question.
Obviously, different applicants' cover letters will look quite different from one another. But here's a sample of what a good letter might look like.
Dear (insert name or "Hiring Manager" if name is unknown):
Your advertisement on Military.com for a (insert job title) fits my experience and qualifications perfectly, and I am writing to express my interest in and enthusiasm for the position. As a former servicemember and accomplished sales leader, I have achieved consistent revenue growth for leading corporations during my career.
In addition to my desire to join your team, you will find I am a dedicated and driven professional whose recent accomplishments include:
* An increase of international sales from 1 percent of the company's total revenue to 75 percent.
* Dramatic expansion of customer base, leading to revenue growth rates that far exceed the pace of larger, more established competitors.
* Development of professional relationships and networks within the sales industry.
* Attainment of 100 percent customer retention rate through expert relationship-building skills and a commitment to a solution-focused, service-first sales approach.
* Launch of a new office, expected to double sales revenue by 2003.
Your products are truly on the cutting edge of (industry) -- you offer products that can change the way a company conducts business. I am excited by this prospect and would be able to translate this excitement to a business benefit for your current and future clients. If you agree that my qualifications are a close fit to your needs, I would be delighted to meet with you personally to discuss strategies for expanding (name of company's) market presence.
I will follow up with you in a few days to answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, you may reach me at (phone number) or via email at (email address). I look forward to our conversation.
Sincerely, Dina Smith