Around 10% of United States citizens are military veterans. That means the other 90% of the population is less familiar with what military service members bring to the workforce. Creating a strong resume that translates military experience into civilian skills is key to transitioning into a post-military career.
At Citi, we’re working to respond to the complex needs of America’s uniformed men and women who are transitioning out of the military in large numbers. As a former service member and veteran recruiter, I spend much of my time speaking with transitioning service members to improve resumes and translate their skills. From my experience leading workshops and trainings, I have learned how to create a strong civilian resume. Here are five tips:
Related: Does your resume pass the 6-second test? Get a FREE assessment.
- Translation is Key -- Getting a job is just like having a job. You have to tailor your skills to the employer’s expectations. Make sure to review the job description. Once you understand if you are qualified, articulate your relevant skill set in your resume as it relates to the job.
- Do Not be Afraid to Take Credit -- In the military, it is all about the team effort. Servicemen and women are taught never to take credit for the accomplishments of the whole. In the civilian world, searching for a candidate is all about vetting someone as an individual. Find ways to translate how individual efforts resulted in positive outcomes.
- Address Irregularities -- In the military it is common to move frequently, sometimes creating lateral or vertical changes in rank. Be prepared to explain these movements in your career and spell out promotions. If you manage people, make sure to list the number of people you manage so that recruiters understand the size and scope of your leadership.
- Highlight the Perks of Deployment -- Military service often leads to deployments that are beyond an individual’s control. Make sure to highlight the positive aspects of deployment, like new skill sets, cultural experience and ability to learn quickly.
- Prepare to Debunk Misconceptions -- Military ranks and levels are often unknown to civilian recruiters. Consider where your resume has flexibility on language. For instance, instead of relying on titles to do the talking, look at what the functions of the job are and elaborate.
These tips can help develop a strong resume that will appeal to civilian employers. I am thankful to be able to provide helpful information to our military men and women who have so bravely served our nation as they transition to civilian life.
To learn more about Citi’s efforts to support veterans and their families, visit: citi.com/citisalutes.
Related: For the latest veteran jobs postings around the country, visit the Military.com Job Search section.
The Next Step: Get Your Resume Out There
Get your resume seen by companies that are seeking veterans like you. Post your resume with Monster.com.
About Bruno Pell, Citi Salutes
Bruno served in the US Air Force for 22 years and retired from the Air Force in 2011. With over 18 years of talent acquisition experience in both the military and civilian communities, Bruno possesses a unique set of qualifications to lead our veteran engagement program. As the head of Citi’s Veteran Recruiting Initiative, his primary focus is to assist transitioning military members, veterans and their families, with skills preparation and employment readiness as they embark on a new journey in finding civilian career opportunities. Bruno and his team engage with veterans and veteran service organizations by offering training seminars, career coaching, and employment networking partnerships. He is the primary point of contact for Citi’s Veteran Recruiting Initiative nationally.