So you're a military history buff -- but is there an app for that? If you've been looking in the Apple or Android stores, you may not have found many options. But we've pulled up six great military history apps that you can download. They give lots of information, are simple and clear, and varied enough so you can find the app (or apps!) that's right for you.
1. Military HistoryA simply named app, Military History on iTunes is made by Army.ca Technologies, Inc. Despite the simple name, it has many great features, including searching by date and keyword for specific events, a wide selection of 1,200 entries about important military events and the ability to look at events from this day in history. For example, if you want to look for a battle that started on October 29, you could do that with this app. The app is also very affordable, only costing $0.99 to purchase and it is well worth that dollar.
2. 20th Century Military Uniforms20th Century Military Uniforms is exactly what you might expect. It's an app that gives you a wide range of military uniforms used by various countries throughout the 20th century. It might sound simple, but ths military history app's information and pictures about the uniforms are what makes it worthwhile. It's gotten great reviews as well. The app is $3.99, a reasonable price for anyone interested in military uniforms worn during the 20th Century.
3. Battlefield mApps: Battle of the BulgeThe Battle of the Bulge is one of the most well-known and important battles in World War II. Battlefield mApps: Battle of the Bulge tells the story of the battle in an interesting way that will keep you interested from the beginning of the battle to its end. With good reviews and priced well at $3.99, if you want to know more about the Battle of the Bulge, this app is definitely the right choice.
4. American Military: History ChallengeAmerican History Challenge is a trivia game created by a history professor. The app features a fun and informative quiz about many aspects of the American military, such as leaders, weapons and wars. It will let you see how much you really know about the American military and let you have fun at the same time. The app is also very affordable at $0.99 for the full version. It is available for both Android and iPhone users.
5. iPlane.MILiPlane.MIL is a military history app focused on the history of military aircraft. Its trivia gauges your knowledge of military aircraft and trying to get a better score on the quiz is a lot of fun. The app has more than 100 aircraft and it's only $0.99. It is available on iTunes.
6. Military History - The Oxford CompanionMilitary History - the Oxford Companion is the must-have app for military history buffs. It covers military history from classical times until the present in great detail. If you like to read about military history, this app will give you even more detail about whatever military history topic interests you most. It costs $14.99, but this price is well worth it considering you're essentially buying a very detailed military history book in app form.
All six of these military history apps are great finds, whether you’re pursuing an online military history degree or want to learn more about veteran family members. Some are made for fun and others are made for education. What they all have in common is an appeal to anyone interested in military history.
Dixie Somers is a freelance writer and blogger for business, home, and family niches. Dixie lives in Phoenix, Arizona, and is the proud mother of three beautiful girls and wife to a wonderful husband. She can be reached on Facebook.