How Can a Divorced Military Parent Get on Base?

How can a divorced military parent get on base

Dear Questions and Benefits,

My daughter is divorced from an active-duty airman. She has custody of their child, and he has an ID card.

The problem lies with taking her son to the doctor. Every time she tries to get on base, they give her a really big hassle. She was told she could get a yearly pass, but no one seems to know how to do it.

I was hoping you might be able to help me out.

Sincerely, Worried Dad

Dear Dad,

How to get your kids on base after a divorce when you no longer have a military ID card is one of those sticky issues for former military spouses. And, unfortunately, there's no simple cut-and-dry answer.

Visitor pass rules like this one don't only vary by service, they also vary by base. Some bases will give specific people who visit frequently, such as local clergy or divorced parents like your daughter, an extended pass. Other bases operate under completely different policies.

How the pass system works is going to depend entirely on the rules put in place by the individual base commander.

The best thing for your daughter to do is to visit the base's visitor pass office and speak to an official there for the visitor pass rules governing that specific installation.

I know that's not the answer you were hoping for. Good luck!

Sincerely, Team Q&B

-- Do you have a question about your benefits? Email the Questions and Benefits team at

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Benefits Family and Spouse