Household Goods Storage and Shipment for Military Survivors

PCS mover with boxes on a dolly

In addition to a one year extension of housing and/or housing allowances, the military will pay for the movement of household goods and personal effects a deceased service member and their family to the following locations:

  • The member's last permanent duty station.
  • The member's home of record.
  • The home of his or her dependent(s).
  • The home of the next of kin, or to other persons legally entitled to receive custody of the member's household goods.

Household goods will include all personal property associated with the member's home. It also includes all personal effects belonging to the member and his dependents which can be legally transported by an authorized commercial moving company. The items to be moved must be turned over to a transportation officer or carrier within one year of the member's death for shipment to the desired location.

Your Casualty Assistance Calls Officer will assist you in arranging for shipment and will contact the personal property officer at the nearest military installation to answer any questions you may have.

You may not generally include the following items in a move of household goods:

  • Personal baggage normally carried free on commercial travel.
  • Live animals.
  • Privately owned live ammunition.
  • Hazardous materials such as insecticides, solvents, and flammable or corrosive materials.
  • Perishable foods and plants.

You may temporarily store a shipment of household goods for up to one year . Any temporary storage beyond one year will be at your own expense and will only be done if you send a written request to the transportation officer handling your move which shows extenuating circumstances which are beyond your control as the reason for the extended storage. The CACO will be able to assist you in this matter.

Non-temporary storage in connection with a shipment of household goods may not exceed one year from the date of death. Storage under these conditions will be in an approved commercial or Government facility, whichever is nearest the point where the household goods are located on the date of the service member's death.

Keep Up-to-Date for Your Next PCS

Get the inside information from those who know. Get PCS help and all the news and benefits information you need delivered straight to your inbox. Subscribe to now.

Show Full Article

Related Topics