Can I Get a PCS Claim Extension?

PCS mover with boxes on a dolly

I dropped the ball. I thought we had 200 days to file our claim for things damaged during our last PCS, but we had only 180.

Today is day 179. Do we have any hope of an extension or a waiver? Please say "yes."

We've all been there. Military moves are so hectic, and getting the claim in is such a pain that it's easy to put it off.

The good news is I am not going to say "no" to your question. The bad news is I'm also not going to say "yes." This is one of those "it sort of depends" situations.

Like many parts of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves, the little details are governed by your specific military service. That's true with PCS claims, as well. You can hit up your military claims office for information on whether you can get an extension to the 180-day timeframe.

Your chances of that waiver being granted go up if you have a really good reason for missing the cutoff, said Fred Rice, a spokesman who works U.S. Transportation Command (Transcom), the Defense Department office that handles military moves.

"If you had good cause to exceed the ...  notice period, such as an officially recognized absence or hospitalization during all or a portion of the time period, this information should be passed to your Transportation Service Provider for their consideration," Rice said. "In these cases, your TSP is required to contact your military claims office for a determination."

In other words, let your local military move office and the claims office know about your problem. They might be able to help.

Stay on Top of Your Military Benefits

Military benefits are always changing. Keep up with everything from pay to health care by subscribing to, and get access to up-to-date pay charts and more with all latest benefits delivered straight to your inbox.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

Benefits Family and Spouse PCS