Paycheck Chronicles

Travelers Must Now Prove Govt Quarters Unavailable When Filing Travel Claims

Handful of change

Military travelers must now provide proof that government quarters are unavailable if they want to be reimbursed for staying in commercial lodging.

In a policy change listed in the June 1 update to the Joint Travel Requlations (JTR), DOD has announced that immediately, travelers on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) or Temporary Duty (TDY) travel must provide a nonavailability confirmation number with their travel claim if they want to be reimbursed for staying in commercial lodging. 

Previously, travelers could submit the name of a person contacted at the new or temporary duty station along with the contact's phone number, and date that government quarters were unavailable when filing a travel claim and be reimbursed for staying in commercial lodging.

For TDY travel, no per diem will be paid for staying in commercial lodging unless the nonavailability confirmation number is submitted with the travel claim, travel card receipt, or advance request.

For PCS travel, no Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) or Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) will be paid for the service member or their family without the nonavailability confirmation number.

Show Full Article

Related Topics

PayCheck Chronicles Travel

Most Recent Military Pay Articles

View more
This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.