Saturday, 23 September 2017, is Smithsonian Magazine's Museum Day Live! event, where almost 1,300 museums across the country are offering free admission. It's a great way to do something different without spending a bundle. It does require a little advance planning, as you must register online and print out your free tickets before heading to the museum.
The online search function allows you to enter a state and zip code, but you'll get a lot more results if you just enter the state.
The online registration is limited to one per email address, and each registration gets you two free tickets. You'll have to have several registrations if you have a larger family. You only get one free ticket for the whole day, so pick carefully. Most tickets need to be printed out on paper, but some will indicate that they can be presented on your smart phone or tablet.
The ticket does not include admission to special events, IMAX exhibits, parking, or any other separate charges.
There are quite a few interesting museums participating, including:
- The William Paca House in Annapolis, Maryland
- The Tampa Museum of Art in Tampa, Florida
- The GRAMMY Museum at L.A. Live in Los Angeles, California
- The Spanish Governor's Residence in San Antonio, Texas
- The Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame and Museum of the American Cowboy in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- The Putnam Museum and Science Center in Davenport, Iowa